Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, All of Ya'll With the Heater problems, Look Here! *UPDATE*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, Mar 30, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

OK, All of Ya\'ll With the Heater problems, Look Here! *UPDATE*

Being that because of the 30 degree one day/ 70 degree the next day temperatures here in 'Bama...I didn't want to put a piece of cardboard in front of the 'ol radiator and risk overheating on one of the warmer days (heck, it may be 30 in the morning and high 60's that afternoon)

I noticed that the school buses around here put a canvas cover over the grill of the buses during the winter. They are made where they can vary the amount of opening for the air to get through - I thought - sure would be cool if I could find or make one of those for my K5.

Well, got the Cabelas automotive catalog the other day, and they have such a thing!

goto www.cabelas.com

click on "search by catalog number" on the upper left hand side of screen

enter AP-51-2605

tried to link directly, but it kept resetting the page
    it has adjustable air flows on it and everything.

My only qustion is since they don't offer it specifically for my K5 (1987) - would the one for the 88-93 full size Chevy Pickup fit (with quad headlights) fit????? Are the grills pretty much the same size on those?

Tell me what ya think - if they will fit, I'm going to order one. Tired of freezing on those cold,cold days.

2. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

Re: OK, All of Ya\'ll With the Heater problems, Look Here!

the 88-93 pickups are the newer body style (with the ifs), but i think its close enough that it should work. even if its off a little bit, a pair of scissors could solve the problem pretty quick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BrianDamage

Re: OK, All of Ya\'ll With the Heater problems, Look Here! *UPDATE*

found a website that sells these and list them for blazers!

I'm ordering one tomorrow! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

if you have been having problems with getting the heat up in your rig during the winter, you may want to look into this too

http://www.gofia.com/pages/winterf.htm

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

coats?

5. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    coats?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really coats...more like windbreakers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gotta be something to 'em....I see school buses and big rigs wearing similar items all the time in the winter

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AFAIK the "restrictors" were originally used on diesels only. (hence big rig/busses)

The thermostat is what regulates engine temp, some of you might have problems based on air temperature in extreme climates, but personal experience says a 350 will run at 195* in 20 degree weather without assistance.

Remember, if the thermostat is closed, the only way for the engine to lose heat is by radiating it (or the heater core), and those are usually not efficient enough to keep it under the t-stats rated temp.

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I live here in Iowa, and my heater was driving me nuts, I replaced the thermostat 3 times, the heater core, & the radiator plus the all of the belts and the water pump. Still no heat. Well a buddy of mine stopped by, checked things out. Know what was wrong? The obivious..... the clutch fan was stuck on. I now have a blast furnace. So check your clutch fan, if you haven't! Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys, I live here in Iowa, and my heater was driving me nuts, I replaced the thermostat 3 times, the heater core, & the radiator plus the all of the belts and the water pump. Still no heat. Well a buddy of mine stopped by, checked things out. Know what was wrong? The obivious..... the clutch fan was stuck on. I now have a blast furnace. So check your clutch fan, if you haven't! Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about that, but not sure how to check it.

I've replaced my thermostat, hoses and heater core (it sprung a leak after I replaced the thermostat)...like I said - if it's 50+ degrees outside, my heater's kickin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

if it's down 40 or - , I have let it set outside running for 30 minutes and it still never gets above the first hash mark on the temp guage. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

To check your fan clutch you spin the fan when it is cold (should spin about 1 1/2 times and stop) and then start it and get all the way to op temp. then shut it down and spin the fan by hand. it should not go far (less than one turn) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

Ive had some cold days here where it would be tough to crank, but i never had any problem with it not heating. i just started it, got it going smoother(30 sec) then drove off on low gear(i have a 4spd) and never tried to turn off the choke (pumping the gas in N). i got moving and left it in the 2nd driving gear
    (L2 pattern)
    (13)
    until i got out of town. i do this with my parents automatic, efi suburban. i put it in 2nd (not D or OD) and wait for it to start warming. the faster an engine moves, the more heat it makes, right? keep it in a low gear until you feel heat. works great for me. will for you too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Does your truck run hot in the summer? Mine did, I think it was the clutch fan slipping when hot. Try checking your clutch fan the way DSJ recomended. When I bought my new fan clutch, they have 3 different ones. There is a non thermal one ($25), they have a OEM replacement (thermal $42), and a severe duty one ($62), I went for the severe duty one, as I figured it would help whe I was doing some slow fourwheeling. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif