Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK all you Diesel people....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by S10-4x4, Sep 7, 2000.

1. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

I have found a Blazer that I like. It looks good for being an 83. Doesn't look like its been trashed around.
    83 K5 6.2 Diesel 150,000 (owner says 50,000?)
    700r4
    NP208
    Interior is good shape.
    Externally its in great shape for an 83. A few rust holes and the rockers are going (the guy is including NEW ones)
    rear window won't roll down with the key
    Fuel gauge doesn't work
    It sounds good for a diesel but I don't know what it SHOULD sound like.

Here is my only thing that is keeping me from purchasing it from the guy for $1850....DIESEL....
    I would like to have all of you Diesel people to give me the low down on them. Good, bad and even the UGLY stuff.
    If I can be convinced to buy it...well...I have to change my username to S10-K5!!!!

Thanks

S10-4x4

J**P...Its what's for dinner
    http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

well this may piss a few people off but here it goes i would NEVER NEVER by a chevy diesel if it is a 6.5 my dad had one and that thing was the biggest piece of crap i own a diesel but it is a ford 7.3 i have drove a few chevy diesels and have never liked them , Ihave never owend one so you proply need to take to someone who owns one, I probly sould not have awnsered this post becouse i will probly start getting death threats now ha-ha-ha-. No realy i have a couple of buddys that run a diesel repair shop and they do all my work on mine when it breaks. The only thing i have had to have done is a new cluch.and i have only heard bad things about the 6.5 chevys unless they have a banks turbo kit and a banks power pack , But that is a lot of cash. hope this helps JUST MY TWO CENTS, later Big B. (disclaimer please read) p.s. this post was not posted to piss anyone off or start any fight about my diesel is better than yours and other stupid aguments like that thank you.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Well here is my $.02,I've heard alot of bad things about the 6.2 chevy.But I have some friends that have them and love them,so I guess the best thing to ask your self is if you can wouk on it if it breakes.?I dont know alot about deisel motors but I could learn,I always wanted one but just cant find what I want.They do fell slugish without a turbo.I thought about putting a cummings out of a ram in mine,they are the best of the diesle I've seen but hey thats what cummings does best!!!Any one heard of this swap?
    It would be nice to have with a nv4500 and a 205.
    By the way I'm not trying to pick a fight either,these are just my opinions.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

You guys....
    I'l throw a vote in for the 6,2. Is it maintained at a regular interval and does it look original in regards to switches, wiring, lug-nuts, add-ons? Does the engine apear dry and free of excesive diesel-smell and it dont smoke, Then take the cost to get a diesel mechanic to check it out. If he says it's good it's a survivor. If he says it's a piece of dodo it may still run for years but take his final word.

Besides there is nothing more manly than the smell of diesel.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

By now most of you know that I own a 6.2 half ton. I'll say again what I've said over and over- 6.2s are tough, tough, tough. If you follow a strict maintenance program, you can expect to get 400,000 miles out of it, with little or no pain. I know a few guys that have over 350,000 kms on their 6.2s and the things are still going strong. I can honestly say that my diesel engine has treated me WAY, WAY BETTER than my gasser.

There are stories out there about faulty injector pumps and crappy injectors- I haven't had one problem with my motor other than having to replace my vacuum pump, which doesn't affect the performance anyway.

Let's just say if I were to go out and buy a new truck tomorrow, it would be a diesel.

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Canmore

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and is your truck stock?

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 6,2 with close to 150 000 miles(US) on it original pump, minimal oil-use.

I get about 1,6 litres pr 10 kilometers( a mile as we call them)City-driving with 32 11,5 tires. Highway miles are 1 litre pr 10 km.

If my math and tables are correct that would get me 60 miles(US) on 16 litres or 3,8 gallons. Now my head hurts, this may be all wrong. or 15-16 mpg

8. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

You do have to keep up on the oil changes and stuff like that my truck has over 127,000 miles on it and it still runs like new they say if you change the oil on time and keep the feul system clean they will run for every well i am going to find out dont plan on getting a new one anytime soon .If i bought a new truck today it would be anouther diesel love mine and would not tade it for a new gas truck . I get around 20 - 25 miles agallon i have a banks power pack and running 373 in the rear danna60 , The best thing about it is everytime i need to tow the blazer to the trails i can just hook up to the trailer and have no worries at all. later Bruce.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Brian- My 83 is totally stock, other than the fact that I've relocated my fuel filters for easier access. A $75 dollar fill will take me over 1100 kms, and I get around 825 kms when I tow my trailer, which usually includes a few mountain passes here in the Rockies, such as Sinclair/Storm Mtn Passes west of Banff and the Highwood Pass(2211 metres- highest paved road in Canada!!!!). I've never worked it out on paper, but most 6.2s get 20-22 mpg, and around 17 mpg towing.

The only real work I had to do, other than the vacuum pump, were shocks(my choice) and little piddly things=> fan clutch, thermostat and a driveshaft support bearing.

To top it off, I park it during the winter, so she's in creampuff condition. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone's asked me if she's for sale!!

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

well here's my two cents. I had a 6.2 in my 83 jim but ripped it out and dropped in a vette motor. So I have a perspective from both engines in the same truck. the truck has a 700r4 and 3.42 gears with 33s its otherwise stock. pros of the diesel---- you can drive though a lake up to your chin if the intake and exhaust are above water, you never need tune up plugs wires ect. it pulls really anything you want. and the mileage is a blessing. I ran home heating oil in mine all through the winter for 80 cents a gallon. the cons -loud loud loud smells smells smells slow slow slow mine pissed oil like i had no oil pan on the motor. and if you ever run out of fuel........have fun.
    for me the choice was easy because i have the hot rod bug real bad........LT1. diesels are good for 18 wheelers and fork lifts. if you want to have fun get a heathly small block, your gas mileage will suffer though....but hey chirping second at will with 33s is cooler than towing a house......just 2 cents

11. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 83 with 180,000 miles on it . Get about 18 to 19 miles per gallon . Not much in the horsepower dept , but boy do they keep working . I have had to replace an injector pump only due to poor maintance . Also a water pump .The first thing I check is oil pressure if it's low it could need new bearings . Check smoke a diesel will smoke blue or black when cold and slowly disappear after hot . If it always blows black smoke probably a clogged air filter . If it's white run for the hills . Hope this helps I've never been stranded yet by the engine .

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think towing a house is way cooler than chirping the tires! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The key to any diesels life regardless of brand is maintenance...which i see a severe lack of in my line of work. I work for a Freightliner dealership and i've seen it all come thru our doors! As far as the B series Cummins swap question...yes it is possable...our local cummins shop here in town has an employee with a 87 ish burban with the older non electronic B5.9L installed in it...i don't remember the particulars but he did pop the hood for me and let me listen to it...looked allmost like it belonged there! Stay away from the new Cummins replacement for that engine...the new ISB (electronic 5.9L)...their CAPS injection pumps are failing left and right...and what a pain to replace...lol. I'll try and stop by Cummins Southwest sometime and enquire about the owner so i can post a name and phone number so you can ask him qusetions...i do remember that he used the dodge truck motor mounts though. And don't quote me but if i remember right the 7.3L that resides in most FORDS is actually a IHC engine...lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

14. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes tRustyK5....I agree being able to tow a house down the street is much cooler than to be able to smoke your tires and make a $$$ set of tires TOAST!!

I think I have heard everything bad about Diesels here....and ya know what...compare it to a GAS....I wanna Diesel!!

Now...I found it...I want it...got to buy it...
    Hrm.....now what am I going to do about my nickname here....I won't be able to go as S10-4x4.....
    K5-S10
    S10-K5
    K5Diesel.....

Hrm...any other ideas?

S10-4x4

J**P...Its what's for dinner
    http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

15. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If you get the k5 we'l have a brainstorm and give you bunch of suggestions. Then you can decide (and send us a T-shirt)[​IMG]
    The S-10 kind of does not belong with the k5 name.

By the way anybody here still remember back on the old board, "furby" was it??[​IMG]

16. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

OK OK! How about towing a house while chirping the tires???
    To each his own.

17. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

check out http://www.thedieselpage.com/ By the way, all the HumVees and CUCV light trucks (GM) are powered by a 6.2 or a 6.5 Also check out http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/trucks.htm for a look at a high performance version of this diesel. Twin turbo is available. 300 hp. My 6.2 pickup went 303,000 miles before a head cracked. My K5 will be getting a turbo6.5 in near future. Here is what the block looks like, see attachment.

SteveB

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Rene,
    My Diesel does both... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    chirp the tires between 1st an 2nd, 2nd and 3rd....
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    and at 80mph i get 2.5 times the fuel mileage my 7.4L did.
    Grant

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

HOLLY THREAD-RESURECTION, BATMAN!!!!!

20. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The thread is almost 4 years old. I used to be S10-4x4 till I became SK-15 when I bought my K5 Blazer, and then I sold my S10 and became OFFRDK5!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif