Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok an idea, anyone here a realtor or tied to one somehow ? i have some Q's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 29, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok an idea, anyone here a realtor or tied to one somehow ? i have some Q\'s

need some insider info on how this works:

ok when realtors come across houses, etc

sometimes they have junk and whatever in them you know,

AFAIK they accept bids on removal of junk and yadda yadda

i need to find out(before i start calling realtors here) how this process works and if they pick the absolutely lowest bid or what

anything thats made of any kind of metal i can get rid of free cuz thats what we junk

anything wood or paper or whatever burnable i can burn outside of city limits on great uncles property where he has a burn pile and has had for years

anything else stupid can be hidden in junk cars or set at trash barrels

i dont know how many ppl bid on this stuff or if you have to be insured or anything like such or whatever, and i dunno how exactly this works

i have a friend who is also work displaced and he has a truck too,

and i have a crane for heavy stuff and the means of disposing most anything no cost instead of having to go to landfill 40 miles away

so anything anyone knows about this for sure i appareciate

or is this a retarded idea ?

how do i need to talk to realtors to convince them that i do not play around and will get the job done correctly and ASAP,

cuz that would always be my goal, as with anything i ever do anyways

my friend and i are trying to figure up some kind of self employment that everyone and their dog isnt already doing or that they already havent tried and.or thought of,

maybe someones got better ideas than this even ?

dont tell me lawn mowing or landscaping or roofing or siding or tree cutting or anything else that everyone else is already doing, or that you have to be licensed and/or insured to do

i am determined to figure out something that we can self employ ourselves with, somehow, but i dunno what yet, trying to come up with some ingenious probabilities.,

maybe this thread will help some others who read this who are work displaced where they are geographically stranded.

thanks

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: ok an idea, anyone here a realtor or tied to one somehow ? i have some Q\'s

Would a realtor be making that call or a homeowner? Houses that realtors have shown me, they basically don't care about the contents, if a homeowner leaves them, they become the new owners responsibility to remove. Realtors might be good people to market for you, though. Make sure a couple have your contact info to give to the new homeowner, etc.

ALso, be sure you don't bite off more than you can chew... People bring weird stuff into thier houses, you could go into a basement and find car batteries (expensive for you to dispose of lawfully I'd guess), or some other wierd crap that you can't easily get rid of.
    I read about a place in I think Ohio or Indiana where a couple kids found bottles of Mercury in an abandoned building, and brought it home and threw it at people. The EPA ended up cording off thier neighborhood and sending the family's to hospital's for stuff. Not directly related, but just beware that there can be some bizarre things left in a place that people don't want or can't afford to get rid of properly.
    I just remembered a story about a woman a couple towns away from me that bought a house and moved in, and one of her kids or her dog one day brought her an unexploded WWII Mortar (or some similar kind of large explosives). I may be jumbling the facts now, but the previous homeowner was a WWII vet and had left it there when he moved out (it was disabled and safe, but unnerving til that was known, btw). Lord only knows why he had it, any WWII vets I knew just collected Nazi daggers and little stuff like that.

Anyway, if you do get into the business, make sure you put a clause in your contract with the realtor/homeowner that you will not remove or be responsible for the removal of extraordinary, dangerous, or regulated materials discovered in the property. That would include cannibus... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

You could also put a $20 ad in a local classified rag saying "Men with truck will remove rubbish from your property or your home".
    I'd guess it's probably not a bad game to be in, but don't try to hide anything you remove. When you become a business operator, you become a little more scrutinized than the average Joe, in this instance maybe eventually by the EPA. Keep everything legit and legal and you will sleep better and probably make more money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Most areas will require that you be bonded and insured. Most also require licenses for refuse disposal (ie: you have to account for what your doing with everything to make sure your not burning it in your backyard, dumping it in some river etc...)

I'd be terrified to attempt what your considering doing with what you remove, all you need is one inquiry as to disposal methods and you could end up with the EPA, the state, county etc... deciding that you should pay a 500,000 dollar fine for illegal dumping etc... (exaggerating a bit but could happen!)

Not to mention you cut into someone elses business and they may blow you in as well.

Most scrap removal companies make money by
    1) what they charge for the removal
    2)what they can sell the scrap for (scrap steel,copper aluminum)

-minus landfill charge (about .05-.10 lb around here)
    -labor, gas, insurance fees etc...

Theres money to be made doing it the right way, lot of liability doing it the "easy way..."

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

batteries you get 50 cents for turning each one in, in state of IL

tires are easy too, just one dollar charge per tire in IL to dispose of at tire shredders LLC on edge of town

and as far as any hazardous chemicals or anything, nothing like mercury or grenades or anything like that is gonna be found in a low populated area like this, of all the places and vehicles i have been through to date and i have been through tons of both, the most bizarre thing i can recall ever finding are shotgun and .22 rounds

recently had a guy who was cleaning out a house right across the street from here for a realtor and all he had was a beater ford pickup and a basic normal car trailer, he was just a joe blow older guy nobody special, he said he just bid for it and won,
    pretty basic

hoping for more responses and ideas

i guess no idea is a good idea

why did i try again,,

thanks

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I did what you are thinking of for realators and property management. It was a part time thing me and a buddy of mine did on weekends and after work. We mainly cleaned out rentals when people moved out and left their junk or trashed them .We did the trash hauling and basic repairs if needed like painting, Patching holes.fixing doors, changing locks, replacing plumbing and broken electrical stuff.
    It was not a bad racket we usually got 50.00 to clean out a house and haul the trash away. plus extra for the repairs which we bid by the job as needed.
    It always amazed the things people would leave behind. They leave a lot of good stuff. We went to the flea market once a month and sold all the good stuff.
    We worked for 3 or 4 real estate people. They kept us as busy as we wanted to be.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im a Realtor. The property owner would be responsible for cleanup of their property not the listing agent. You could market yourself to Realtors though because a prop owner may ask for a recommended clean up crew during the listing process (the Realtor will most likely recommend cleanup). Dont think you'll get anywhere only picking up scrap metal though, personally I'd charge $$$ and clean up it all. Sell the scrap metal afterwords. No one is going to want a clean up crew for metal and another for the rest of the junk. You can market yourselves by talking to the office manager at a brokerage and ask him/her if you may give them fliers to hand out to their agents.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If I were You Randy I would check it out. Im almost done with a job that was set up by a realtor. There is a piece of land for sale that has 32 vehicles on it. I'm doing it for $250 ($25 a trip for deisel) a vehicle plus all the scrap metal they can stuff in them. Scrap prices are around $70 a ton around here right now so this job will pay pretty good.
    If Your gonna keep doing stuff like this You really need to get a slide bed and get a plan going. I get people calling all the time cause their realtor is on them about getting rid of old cars that could make or break a deal or force them to settle for thousands less to sell their property.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: ok an idea, anyone here a realtor or tied to one somehow ? i have some

Like others have said, it is a very doable idea. You could probably get a little work by also doing small repairs/handyman stuff too. I am sure you can figure a way to do it under the table. But like was said before, clearing some trash and doing small repairs can add a lot of value to a house when selling it, or at least make it more appealing to a potential buyer.

Also the idea of running some ads along the lines of "2 guys and a truck" would probably get you some work hauling junk for people or something.

From your other posts on here it sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying this, go for it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif