Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok...anyone straighten their own frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 11, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I need to do this at home on the cheap. What happened is I towed my blazer 350 miles home one night a long time ago with a tow bar on the front horns and one or both is pretty tweaked now. I cant afforrd a frame shop, so what's the good ol down home fixit?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Hee hee! this will make you laugh. My buddy took his front bumper off, hooked the frame up to a big heavy truck like a dually and they yanked on it. It worked! I can imagine how bad it pissed the neighbors off hearing that! LOL! But that's how he did it.

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

a realy big hammer and a string... but only if it's minor... if it's to bent up you might be better off cutting that section out and weilding a new one on.. just beef it up a bit... other than that all i can think of is take it to a shop ....

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

high lift jack between the frame rails.....

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

BFH...porta power, hi-lift. It's just mild steel...

rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Shaggy has the right idea. You can also use the Hi-lift as a clamp if that's what you need.

My frame horn is bent in the middle, so I am going to have to squeeze it in. I was planning on using the Hi-lift and my torch for this. You need to use heat so you can get it to ease into place. Don't heat it too much though.

I am going to weld 1/4" plate to the outside of the frame horns and than just make a new bumper to fit the new width. This is practical for me because my old bumber was destroyed beyond repair.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've got all 3 of those Rene. You would bend it cold, not heat and bend?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I guess, if you have enough leverage. It ought to be a heck of a lot easier if you heat it though, don'tch think?

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It depends...for a slight bend I'd try cold first. If it kinks a little i'd use some heat to take the kinks out. Like a bent bumper kink...you can use the heat to shrink the stretched part of the frame. The steel actually stretches which causes the kinks and stuff. Heat the kink til red and use a large wet rag to quench it...

There is no hard and fast way to do this sort of thing, it more art and feel than rules...
    Don't worry about heating it though, it is just mild steel and you won't hurt anything.

Where and how is it bent?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Be careful with the heat. Too much will make the metal brittle. My buddy straightened his with a torch and a come-along, about 4 months later he had some cracks develop where he had heated it too much. Just my $.02

'85 K5 : 330 HP-350/350/205/FF14/D60/36 inch TSL's

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The driver side horn is twisted a little. The top of it is bent out and the bottom bent in. Not a whole lot, but enough that it bothers me.

Thanks for all the info, yall. If I use heat, it'll be sparingly. We'll see how it goes.

Sherman, Tx

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hehehe, I got one. My uncle has me redoing this '79 shortbox he's going to sell and one horn of the frame was higher than the other (had been broken) and the fenders wouldn't align. He's was out pushing snow one day with the big ol' Case loader and he went over and shoved the bucket down on the rail, lol. It worked! I have to take inside and do a little tweaking, but it made a big difference.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Lt you just now getting around to those??? I showed them to you 2 years ago. A big hammer, or a comealong, or you could use you daaddiiies John Deere and gently??? nug it.

WK

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dude I know. I just now got around to getting the right u joint straps and getting that all together. But man I wanna fire the bitch off tommorrow FINALLY! And what a joyous occasion it will be!

Sherman, Tx