Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK....Brian's turn to RANT

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gm4x, Apr 9, 2004.

1. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

OK....Brian\'s turn to RANT

Well, I've spent the last hout typing (YUK!) yet another letter to send to the Indiana Dept. of Insurance, the Govenor, Lt. Govenor, and my State Rep. Monday morning I was at the Statehouse raisin' alittle cain. You see, I live in the great state of Indiana, and I'll let you into alittle "insight" as to what we do here. Grab a cold-pop & read on.....
    See, where I live the state takes a 47 year old man (me) who's worked & paid taxes since the age of 15. Now, when I became self-employed in 1987, I paid an additional (self-employment) tax. With that being said, and any of you enjoy the right to "be your own boss", you also know that health insurance is pretty much a nodda. What you (me) can afford, ain't worth squat anyway.
    What I HAVE paid, is over 20 years of premiums to a well-known (not always in a good way) Snake Farm. I've had business liability, renters, homeowners, multiple vehicle policies, including my business work trucks. Anyway, back to the state. See, here, they let Insurers take your money, but when it's time for them to fork it back over (I was innocent driver involved in accident 2/24/03)the state sets back & watches the insurance co's. corn-hole ya. They watch you lose wages, watch you suffer physically, emotionally, and financially, they watch your (very) good credit go down the $hit-pipe, and finally watch you go out of business 'cause you can no longer work.
    Next, is when a person who's worked 32 of his 47 years askes for help in the form of SSDI, Medicaid, and foodstamps. You're correct in thinking that I HAVE paid into all of them via tax dollars, but think I can get ANY of it back? HA! To qualify, you need to be 15 minutes from a body-bag. No matter that for over a YEAR now, you've suffered unbeable pain to the point of tears. (FYI, I'm no sissy-6'3" & 225lbs). So I get screwed by the insurers (Snake Farm & his-Progressive), and by the great state of Indiana, BOTH who were MORE THAN HAPPY to rape me in taxes & premuims.
    Why am I here? Purely therapy! I can't work, can't work out in the garage, can't afford to go see friends, hell, in a week, I won't be able to afford to eat. Family is helping out alittle, but dad's 80....I flew the nest ALOT of years ago! I'm living w/friends now, luckily & get an invite for dinner now & then. So, I set home 24/7, except Wednesdays. That's my morning out on the town, when I go see my Chiropractor. I have to drive my 86 beater, cause I can't afford ins on my 98 GMC.
    So if ANYONE is considering moving to Indiana....DON'T. We have the title of being the 2nd most Insurer "friendly" state there is! http://www.nmlcomplaints.com/documents/idoi2body.html Read this if you don't believe me. BTW...still have the same Insurance Commissioner that was interviewed in this article. Also, you can check out the complaints on YOUR insurer in the link in my sig. Take a minute to do so, ESPECIALLY if you pay Snake Farm anything.
    So I'm here for alittle chit-chat, a few laughs (not at the expense of others)and from being out of the 4WD "loop" for a few years, a whole butt-load of new tech stuff that guys are doin on their rides. OK, I'm done for now.....have a great evening!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Brian

Something else I learned, but forgot to mention. In the states (individual) departments of insurance, most of the commissioners, as well as those over insurance in legislature COME from the insurance industry, and RETURN to it at the end of their term. With that said....who's "side" do you figure they're on?? NOT OURS (consumers)!!

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Re: OK....Brian\'s turn to RANT

BTW- Before I'm asked....anger management is outta the question!! I got the right ta be PISSED!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Just remember to say to yourself the following, 3 times every morning when you get up

"Anger management does not involve the use of firearms"

(then again using /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif on the sex organs of certain politicians would receive my encouragement)

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW- Before I'm asked....anger management is outta the question!! I got the right ta be PISSED!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'm to the point of having difficulty telling the 2 apart??
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Around here the best thing you can do after a wreck...especially if it wasn't your fault...is hire a liar, er , I mean a lawyer. They all work for the money they'll get you later so there is no cash out of pocket. I got rear ended by a drunk with no insurance in a foreign country (I'm Canadian and the accident was in Oregon). I ended up having to sue my own insurance under a little used clause. I didn't do great, but better than if I had tried to negotiate the deal myself.

My lawyer took 33% of the settlement...

Rene

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Bummer. I know, it sucks! After gettin' jerked-around by more than one lawyer, I hired one of the injury attys from TV. I didn't wanna go that route at the start, hell....all I wanted was to be fairly treated. The way I feel right now, towards insurance co's....... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif...well, you can guess. Yep, 1/3 is the "standard" fees for lawyers. Get this, the kid I hit didn't have insurance, so I filed on my uninsured motorist ($100,000), 3 months AFTER the wreck, the kids ins (Progressive) said they decided to cover him? Right off the bat, Snake Farm took my uninsured coverage away, and Progressive hasn't paid $hit for my medical. Snake Farm reduced my coverage to $10,000.....since the kid was no longer uninsured. What a PANTLOAD! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Well, you're gettin ready to have a 3rd anniversary of your accident...BE CAREFUL! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. tRustyK5

Yeah, I sued my own uninsured motorist protection. After 18 months of battling back and forth I finally got $5400 after the lawyer got his cut. That covered my lost wages, maybe a grand towards pain and nothing for the damage to my truck. My truck still ain't right...but it also just keeps right on going. I fixed the worst of it and called it good enough.

The hardtop doesn't seal to the cab very good anymore and my door openings are a bit smaller than they once were.

I was just really happy the dumb drunk hit me instead of the mini-van beside me. The van had 4 kids in it...one already in a wheelchair. That old Ford would have destroyed that mini-van no problem. So I managed to find a bright spot, I hope you do too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

8. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Yep, that's where I'm at too. Unfair to have to sue for what someone OWES ya, especially to turn around & fork 1/3 of it to an atty. I'm approaching going on 10 months of lost wages, out of the last 13. What PO's me 'bout my truck is now I can't put another snowplow back on it (damaged frame that 2 shops told Snake Farm to replace, not repair). I'll have to give you the fact of what you said in your last lines. To me, you're a helluva guy to say something like that, not many would. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. tRustyK5

I spent an hour chatting with the people in that Van...they were very nice. It would have been very ugly to see them get hit like I did. I figure I got off pretty lucky with a sore back and some realtively minor damage to my truck.

Anyone else would have felt the same I'm sure.

Rene