Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok...finally got the trouble code now what should i be checking?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Mar 30, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I got a trouble code 44 which is O2 sensor (lean exhaust), what does this mean?

I was looking at symptoms in one of my cousins GM Marine TBI troubleshooting guides for engine bogging and the first thing it metions is the fuel filter. Now I have not changed this since I bought the truck last summer. I hope to change the filter this week and test the fuel presure.

Anyone have any ideas what ight be going on??? Thank.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Replace fuel filter, check fuel pressure and volume, and if its still there then you need to replace you 02 sensor.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I would replace the O2 sensor before anything else. Any idea when the last time it was replaced? If I remember correctly, they should be replaced every 60k miles or so.

Thomas.

4. DesertDueler

The other stuff should be done as well, because it thats where his problem is comming from, he can destroy a new 02s sensor because it will be stuck in lean position.

5. DesertDueler

The other stuff should be done as well, because it thats where his problem is comming from, he can destroy a new 02 sensor because it will be stuck in lean position.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Usually when an O2 sensor goes bad your engine will run rich rather than lean. Because when the computor gets no readings from the 02 sensor it stays in a "open loop mode".
    This usually causes gas milage to go down and makes it run a little rough after it warms up. A bad 02 sensor will usually throw a code 13.
    A code 44 means that the 02 sensor is detecting a lean condition in the exahust stream. Which usually means the 02 is operating properly. A code 44 is usually a fuel delivery problem. So replace the fuel filter before you do anything else. It is the cheapest thing to do.. Then check your fuel press, injectors, fuel pump, ECT.
    Also be sure to check for vacume leaks. Sometimes the TBI unit will come loose from the manioild and cause a pretty healthy vacume leak.

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Check that the EGR is working properly