Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok girls, possible new frame crack area!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 13, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

As you all probably know I've been dealing with the cracked frame at the steering box. Since the weld on kit has been installed, Im still getting a popping noise when turning while driving.
    Well, on a whem at my smoke break I went out side and peeked around and it looks like there is another crack in the frame right where the body mount bracket mounts to the frame is for the driver side right below where your feet rest. I thought it may have been dirt, but I couldn't scrape it off with my fingernail.
    So if any of your aren't at work and can look at this area please do. I will inspect mine further when I get home.
    The (possible) crack is horizontal adn is dead center of the frame between the top and bottom.

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ftn96 on 08/13/01 12:35 PM.</FONT></P>

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Ok girls, possible new frame crack

I have weld repairs on my passenger side body front mount.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, I went for another smoke break with flat head screw driver. The frame is indeed cracked starting at the lower rear most rivet for the driverside (front) rear most shackle mount area going back behind the body mount bracket. [​IMG][​IMG]
    WTF? Do I just need to weld on a brace on the intire freaking frame? This is getting rediculus.
    It doesn't look like it would be too bad to repair, other than the fact that I'd have to remove the exhuast collector to get at the back side of the frame. Or I may just clean up the outside where the crack is exposed and just weld the crack.
    Any ideas?? Or has anyone else experienced this?

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just checked mine...no cracks at the box or the mount but my truck creaks and groans like its coming apart. The weird part is it does it the same way yours does, when turning and tight manouvers in a parking lot.

I think the rivets for some of the crossmemebers are getting loose.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Re: Ok girls, possible new frame crack

my truck made these kind of sounds when turning in the parking lot or just cycling the wheel a bit. had a buddy move the wheel while i looked and it turned out to be the spring packs creeking . i have older springs with no teflon and some rust. my buddy's 8" superlift springs did the same thing too. hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

This sound "AINT" no creeking. Its a thunderous POP!!
    And it doesn't do it cycling sitting still only when turning tight to moderate left hand turns while driving. It did it all the time before the steering weld on brace, now it just does it part of the time. So Im pretty sure this is the cause. I've just got to figure the best way, well I should say the easiest way to repair the crack. I guess I could go ahead adn install headers adn in the process of having the exhuast out I can get in from the back side and weld a plate on there to overlap the cracked area.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

So if any of your aren't at work and can look at this area please do.

<hr></blockquote>

Sure, I will be there in 5 minutes!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Man, you are scaring the whee out of us............just fixed my steering box crack, and figured I would never have to worry about a FRAME CRACK again...........yikers!

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, I felt I owed it to you all to go have a look. Hopefully this is just a one time thing and not wide spread. [​IMG]

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

what? Did I scare you all so bad that your scared to go look?[​IMG]

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

BTT

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did look...no cracks. Nowhere.[​IMG] Of course the frame is bent so the point was kinda moot for me.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, it is right freakin next to the shackle bushing mount. So I'd feel safe saying that it must be from years of stiff springs and wheelin. Im now wondering if I should replace the sway bar to help distribute the stress away from that area.

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My frame isn't cracked - but the @#$%^&amp;* body mount bracket is! Just when I was looking for a reason to play with the torch too.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mine had a crack at the tcase crossmember bolt hole, to the large hole above it in the side of the frame. It was repaired before I got it and I further welded it and dressed the frame.

It is also cracked at the box, in the normal spot. I noticed that long after I seen the cracks on both rails, and have yet to repair it. ( dont drive it, so, no need to hurry )

I will look at the other place you mentioned and see if mines cracked there also.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

16. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

My floor panels are cracking on the passenger side seat mounts. Not frame related but still. And my girlfriend isn't on the heavy side either! hehe

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, mine are doing that too, but on both sides. SHooo but I'll tell you a secret. I have a street sign under my side with holes drilled to line up with the floor holes to hold me till I get some braces made to fix this. Its squeeky but its holding. [​IMG]

18. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

You may already know this, but Cheyenne Pickup Parts has the floor pans and cross braces that go under them. Not to expensive either.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

19. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but my materials will be free.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know what you guys are doing to your trucks but me and my friends beat the snot out of them and I have never seen a cracked frame.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles