Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, got the '85 back today after the third time in the shop...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, May 30, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, got the \'85 back today after the third time in the shop...

...and my buddy said the 454 may have a vacuum leak on the intake manifold and he listened with a stethoscope and heard a lifter(s) clattering.

So, I told him I had been wanting to get a different cam for this motor as the 260 duration Comp Cam that's in it now is too underpowered.

What I want to know is, from you cam guru's, what is the best cam to get for good power and smooth running.

I don't want no lopey cam that shakes my fillings out while sitting at the stop light. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I had in mind the Comp Cams 4x4 Extreme series cam, but what size for a truck that pretty much sees itself on the streets almost daily?

Keep in mind, I want some POWER!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Ok, got the \'85 back today after the third time in the shop...

I've stabbed a Comp Cams 11-206-3 in mine. But it's still on the engine stand, so I don't know how well it will work. However, KRAZIE87K5 has one in his and loves it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

you say you want power... to get power you have to step up and then you get the lope. think maybe a comp 280 would be alright. i know in a sb they have lope but don't know if it would be bad in a bb. but i am no cam guru.
    come to think of it i am no guru at anything..lol
    well maybe beer drinking but i gave that up, so i quess i'm a qwitter...
    call or e mail comp cams or other's they will be more then happy to give you idea's and hp rating's.

dave

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Welp, the 454 in my '77 Suburban K30 has a 260 comp cam, headers and Edelbrock Performer and would routinely bury the speedo (100 MPH) and start up the other side...that with 35" tires and 4.56s, (too scary now with 44" tires!!)...so that kinda sells me on the 260 cam for power. I've also used a 270 Magnum Comp in a 454 in my old '78 K30 and it had more lope than the 260 (duh!) and had good power, but I still prefer the 260 for the balance of mileage, driveability and power. In fact, I just stabbed a new 260 Comp into the 454 I built last weekend for me old '60 GMC Sub 4x4...that thing should rock after I plant all 462 cubic inches (+.040" bore) in there tomorrow!!!!

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha thats awesome!! i would love to see that!

Bryan

6. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I tossed a Comp Xtreme 268/280 cam into the 396 in my Chevelle, I love it.

7. thatK30guy

Ken, what kind of mileage did you get with the 260 CC in your 454?

I'm getting around 4 to 5 mpg. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Not impressive at all. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

it doesn't take alot of power to go 100mph.
    look at these new small compact cars (geo, ect) they will go 80 , 100 maybe more.
    think they have power.. i don't.
    think k30 is looking for tire smoking throw you back in the seat and hold you there power.
    maybe i'm wrong tho...

dave

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

With the 260 comp, 4.56 gears and 35" Mud Terrain radials, Hooker headers, dual 2.5" exhaust w/ 3 chamber Flowmasters, 600 cfm Carter AFB, Edelbrock Performer, I was getting 10 MPGs. Now with the 44" tires I'm getting more like 8 MPGs. Think I'm gonna re-gear to 5.13s in an effort to regain some power and mileage.

And while most rice-burners will go 100+ MPH, they don't weigh near the 6500 lbs. my Suburban weighs!!! Try getting a 6500 pound lifted rig that has the aerodynamics of a brick wall up over 100 MPHs!!! If it were legal I'd be running over rice-burners with their coffee-can exhaust pipes that give them that extra 50 HP!!! LOL!!!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run the 260 Comp cam in my 355 and I love it. It's very torquey down low, even with 3.73's and 36's.

rene

11. thatK30guy

My setup goes like this:

260 Comp
    4.10 gears
    35" tires
    Hedman Hedders
    dual 2.5" exhaust w/ Sonic Turbos
    factory Q-Jet (rebuilt after removing the 795 CFM Edelbrock Q-Jet)
    Edelbrock Performer intake

All that I was still getting around 5 mpg. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Don't make sense when I have higher gears than you do.

12. thatK30guy

Yep, Dave hit the nail on the head here. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I am looking for a cam that will throw you back and have a quick response off idle. I want to be able to GO! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I remember making a thread a long time ago about the stock camshafts in those old '70's big boat cars.
    Remember how good and fast those cars ran? You could take those big station wagons over 100 mph, easily!
    I'm not saying I want to drive 100 mph, but the way those big boat car motors ran so good and smooth, I would almost prefer to get a stock cam like what these cars ran. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

We had an '76 Pontiac Grand Safari station wagon once and it would pick up the front of the car and bounce up and down pretty good by hopping on the gas pedal. It also flew down the highway pretty quickly and had a very good response off idle.
    BTW, this motor was the 455 Pontiac. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Now come on, why can't my 454 run like those big boat cars? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

13. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Wes,

Try Competition Cam (compcams.com). I was going to get a dual stage cam 262-270 advertised duration. To give you best of both worlds. If you send them the information they will give you a response within 48 Hrs with part #. Hope this helps...

Eat More Mud!!!

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unfortunately, its pretty simple. You trade low end for upper end. You can rely on torque to get you moving quickly, but to make a lot of torque, typically the SMALLER the cam, the more low end its going to make. If anyone doesn't buy that, build a combo in Desktop Dyno or engine analyzer, and without changing any other components except the cam, check the torque output and peak RPM's...My motor will make a fair amount of low end for a 350, but by 4k, its wrapped out. Since I set out to build for torque, thats great. But if I was looking for a 1/4 mile vehicle, it would have been built differently. Mileage would suffer as well. For a daily driver, I want reliability, power, and economy. If it was a play vehicle only, throw the economy out.

The reason those cars seemed to run so well was a) small cams in the motors (the Olds 403 was like .400/.400 lift IIRC) and b) the rear end gearing kept freeway RPM's way down, which was back down around where the motor needed to be to "have" power. Thats why gears such as 2.14's, 2.29's, and 2.56's (with OD in some cases!) were common in the 70's-80's.

15. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Wes-

I have the Comp Cams 11-206-3 cam in my truck, and I love it. I used to have one of the 4X4 Energy Cams, and it sucked. Now with this cam, the truck is much more torquey and gets decent mileage too. When I took it to Disney in March - I got ~12MPG @ 75mph average - Swampers, 4.10s, and all! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Get a software dyno, and compare the two, and let everyone know the results! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

16. Re: Ok, got the \'85 back today after the third time in the shop...

Got pics of your k30 burb?

17. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Heads, if you want power then change the heads. A couple of years back CHP did a GM Goodwrench engine series. With a decent intake and headers the 350 SB got 265 HP. Then they ported the heads and got 280 HP and then they changed the cam to a comp 268 and got 336 HP. Then they put vortec heads on out of the box and achieved 371 HP. Your cam is big enough to throw you back in your seat. If you do change your cam you will feel less throttle response unless you change the converter also. I don’t think you will feel that much more HP because your heads are bottle necking you. With a 260 cam and a SB you should be running at least 1800-2200 stall torque converter. I don't know about the BB because it has more torque and it might not need that high of a stall converter. Your cheapest bet for power would be to buy a decent set of passanger car used heads on ebay and then port them and give them a good high performace valve job. But I would save up for the EDL Performer RPM 2-O set. That would boost your power nicely but the cam they use has 240 degrees of duration @.050 lift. The package makes 540 HP, I would stay with your cam for the low end tourqe and go with the heads and manifold.

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Gotta look at the whole package. Compression, heads, cam, etc etc. Personally I think the 260 is a good cam... but which cam line is it from? Comp Cams has many different lines... the 4x4 line should be a good fit for torque with a smilar cam. Also the overlaps they run should help with idle issues, but what dorian said... usually the smaller cams pull much harder off the line. in terms of power in mid rpms levels... you probably would gain a great deal from some port work on the stock heads. Maybe even mill a bit off them to raise the compression a bit. But it all really depends how much you are willing to spend. Personally I think some work and a valve job would make a ton of difference, especailly at mid rpm. A slightly smaller cam with different specs from a different line would probably help yopur torque if you are running something like comp cams xtreme or magnum lines

19. thatK30guy

That's the problem. I don't want to spend very much. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Who does anyways? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

For now, the truck sits parked in the garage resting. Don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well if that is the case... fix what is broke. If there is a vac leak or/and the lifter are making noise nail them. It really sounds like the motor has some problems if you are getting that kinda milage or else you have a real heavy right foot /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL. Fix that and get the right cam and there and that 454 should pull and give a decent increase in mpg.

Call up Crane, Comp Cams, or whoever and give every tid bit of info to their tech guy. They will get you the right cam. I used to run Comp Cams alot, but the past year or so they seem to be loosing quality, thus my econo-builds have been getting Cranes. About the same price and number of grinds.