Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok guys im still having problems with my 85 when i go up hills

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cootersk5, Sep 4, 2004.

1. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

ok heres the story i bought an 85 blazer from a guy. dont ask me why but he put a 307 in it. well thatcame out and i bought a 350 from advance auto parts. i went through three engines i finally got one that didnt mess up some how. now heres my problem
    when im going up a hill and the tramission needs to downshift to get more power and then kicks back up a gear the truck kicking and bucking and acting like its flooding itsself or something. at first i thought it was my holley carb because the engine had blow back through it so i thought i had blown the power valve or what ever is in those that go all the time. so i put my edlebrock 600 on it and it was fine for about half the day and then started doing it again. so what do u all think. maybe the spark isgetting drowned out or the timing of a little off i dont know please help /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the fuel filter is clean. If the carb doesn't get enough fuel to keep the bowls full then it will start to buck under heavy loads. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

thanks i didnt even think of that /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem once with my 87- Fuel filter was clogged beyond belief. Replaced it and I reached a top speed of 107. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe even it could be the carb. My street carb hates anything off camber and will flood out and strand me and I have to ride the skinny pedal and the brake to make it over an obstacle so I am going to put the Q Jet back on it and be done with it, or atleast until I find a nice TPI set up.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had the same problem with my Edlebrock carb and installed "spring loaded float needles" and never had another off camber problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    at first i thought it was my holley carb because the engine had blow back through it so i thought i had blown the power valve or what ever is in those that go all the time. so i put my edlebrock 600 on it and it was fine for about half the day and then started doing it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny , if you are running the 4 speed auto , and chances are it came with highway gears , no carb will fix that . Just leave it in 3rd , or manually downshift , and deal with it sucking on hills until you get lower gears in the axles . The tranny is probably downshifting , gaining some speed , and upshifting again , then you lose momentum and it kicks down again .

Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

right on, lower gears are your answer.