Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok guys in this situation what should I prepare for?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by solowookie, Mar 3, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

I'm going to be running a D44 & 14B FF both open. I wanna play, but not run too aweful hard. what kinda breakdowns should I expect (within reason - I can't prepare for everything).

this being my first time to Moab I wanna spend some time watchin the big boys, testing my rig so I know where I need to go with prep work on it for next year.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I plan on bringing u-joints for everything (axles, driveshafts etc), tools, fluids (motor/gear, tranny, power steering, brake) and maybe some hub parts too. Not sure whatelse... if I had spare axles and driveshafts I'd bring them... seems like they are the kinda things that break when you do extreme stuff.

J

3. solowookie

actually my first thoughts were u-joints & fluids. I'm assuming that with an open 14B FF and a D44 open that my chances for breaking anything are gonna be pretty minimal I believe.

just wondering what everybody else thought.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would bring a set of ball joints with. That is one of the only things that could get you stuck on the trail. Even with no driveshafts someone else could tow you out...with a busted ball joint you are SOL. I think the best option would be to put new ones in and keep the old ones as spairs. I am thinking of bringing a spair spindle too.

5. solowookie

ok how would I go about pressing balljoints in & out on the trail?

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Never thought of that...maybe I should. I would guess it would involve use of a BFH, lots of time, and lots of beer! 14BFF axle shafts make for a good hammer!

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

14BFF axle shafts make for a good hammer!

<hr></blockquote>

HA! That's pretty d@mn funny... anyhow, I have spare axles, u-joints, spare caps for the front and rear yolks, all the above mentioned fluids, and my grease gun. If you bust something, you would be suprised my handy the stuff is! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif And bring water too - if nuthin else, you might get thirsty out there while you are tryin to figure out how to "trail install" your D44 balljoints!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Instead of carrying a grease gun, I just grease the parts at home and put them back in the box. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif