Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok guys need help - quickly if possible - trying to crank new engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 15, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys...

I am assuming that I have a wire hooked up incorrectly somewhere, but I'm not sure where. when I hit the key to turn it over nothing happens.

where do I start, and what could possibly be wrong?

oh yea, and the battery is hooked up /forums/images/icons/wink.gif one cable off the + side of the battery goes to the alt, and another goes to the starter. then the - side of the battery goes to the frame, and ground a few other places.

starter has 2 wires that go to it from the wiring harness; one I connected on the same post as the cable from the starter, and the other one goes to the right from it.

2. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

It sounds like either ignition or starter solonoid. You can take a piece of wire, or wrench, and short the positive wire (from the battery) to the smaller post on the starter and it should kick the solonioid in. You will hear it click and the starter should turn. You can also disconnect the wire from the ignition (small one on the starter) and put a test light on it. It should go 12v+ with the turn of the key (start position). Hope this helps. See where that gets you.

3. tacoma972

tacoma972 1/2 ton status

check the little wire and be sure that you have the wire connected to the drivers side post and not the passenger side.

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Might also want to check the neutral safety switch. Its located at the base of the steering column (by the fire wall). You can pull the connector off the switch and short the wires together with a paper clip or piece of wire. If it is the switch this will allow it to crank. Just another thought.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Put a meter on the purple wire (right terminal looking from the front) and have someone turn the key- you should have 11.5 12.5 or so volts when the key is in the start position. If so turn key off and meter between the large 4-1/0 ga cable attached to the starter and ground- you should have battery voltage. Try that and see what you get.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Damn, I can't type as fast as you guys/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Excellent point on the safety switch Overkill! I totally forgot about that, as I have both of my trucks bypassed/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

LOL, I just did mine about 2 weeks ago. I think that should be the first thing to do to any offroad rig! Just helps simplify things a bit. hehe.

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

LOL - well I checked all of above, and finally figured out it was a ground problem /forums/images/icons/blush.gif anyway I'm working on timing the stupid thing so I can start it & do the cam break in! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

took a little break to grab a bite to eat, and to let the battery recharge /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I'll keep ya posted, but this thing should be started pretty quickly.

I do have one oil leak I am going to have to fix, and that is the computer sender. I will have to take the distributor off to fix it so I'll probably tackle that as soon as I eat.