Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok guys, NOBODY was right...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jan 1, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

but I also do not thing that anybody could have forseen the problem either...

when I was unbolting the engine from the bellhousing there appeared to be a bolt missing. well what turned out to be a missing bolt was actually a bolt with the head broken off!!! [​IMG] this engine has been pulled before, and I'm not sure if a different cam was put in or what, but it is quite obvious this we pulled before by having the bellhousing unbolted from the tranmission. they never bothered extract the bolt they had busted off!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

to make a long story short I did pull this by unbolting the bellhouse from the transmission, and there is quite a bit of room there. the engine is out, and that is the good thing!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cool, Now the real fun begins. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Can't keep a motor in there, can ya Solo? [​IMG]

4. solowookie

yea, extracting the bolt... [​IMG] I've never been good at that. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. solowookie

RedDwarf???? you do realize I have to k5's don't you? (my last big project like this was the other k5 - I blew both engines withing 2 weeks of each othere, and this one has been sitting)

I'm assuming that is what you are referring too...

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, *I* did say double check that you didn't miss any bolts. [​IMG] LOL...

Glad you got it worked out. I'll log that "plenty of room" thing away for future reference. Not that it will help me since I generally fool with autos but, at least I know now. Good luck on getting the bolt out and with the rebuild.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. solowookie

yea, well you were more right then you thought, and I'm feeling like a complete moron!!! (and for those of you that are thinking this doesn't make sense, you are right)

and now the rest of the story...

I get a drill bit, and I'm drilling away. Next I get the EZ-Out, and I get a really good turn on it. well the stupid thing doesn't come out, and doesn't budge!!! I'm sitting there wondering what in the world is going on!!!

OK - now I start looking at other holes, and I realize that the bellhouse isn't threaded. I'm sitting here going if that is a broken bolt then it should come off anyway??? OK so I start looking at the other side, and realize that I am working on the alightnment stud!!! [​IMG].

there was a bolt hidden in the bellhousing that wasn't very easy to see, and I had missed a bolt completely! [​IMG] OK so I pull the bolt, and the bellhousing comes right off!!!

you want to hear the worst part of this??? I had seen the bolt earlier in the project, like a couple days ago... [​IMG] when I went looking for it I'm like where did that bolt go, and then I kept putting my finger in the alignment hole and I'm like I guess it's gone... or I never saw it in the first place??? [​IMG][​IMG]

did I mention that I am a moron? [​IMG]

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

reminds me of the time when i was working on my motorcycle and i sat a hammer down on the work bench. I went to pick up the hammer where i sat it and i could not find it anywhere. I started looking in others places for it and about 20 minutes later went back to where i had layed it on the bench and there it lay, right where I put it. Talk about being a mooron, and a blind one at that.

Glad you got your bellhousing off finally and dont forget to keep the fire extinguisher handy this time! LOL
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO!!
    Sorry but I thought that was kinda funny.
    Not raggin on ya or nothing but that was kind of funny.
    I must admit that I would have to take that to the grave with me. LOL
    Have fun with the rest of yer project, it should go fairly smooth since ya just did this.

10. solowookie

well I'm glad you got a good laugh cuz I'm not to proud to admit my mistakes... [​IMG] (unless I'm talking to my wife. [​IMG])

and the hammer story, well that wasn't too bad either!

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Jeff I aint laughing at ya, I am laughing with you. [​IMG]
    One thing is for certain ya can be sure that that will not happen again.

I remember one time I did a bunch of trailer brakes on a bunch of trailers.
    At the end of the night there was one drum sitting on the floor and guess what? I did not change any drums. [​IMG]
    I had to go down to the lot and go through them all and find the one I had forgot to put the drum back on.
    I felt real dumb on that one. LOL

12. solowookie

well I'm hoping this will open the topic for everybody to make their I was an idiot posts... [​IMG]

did I mention I felt like a real idiot tonight??? LOL (at least I can laugh at myself though... [​IMG])

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i would bet there are a ton of "im an idiot" stories to be told here. I know i have a few but most will go to the grave with me.

Dont feel bad Solo. I was drilling a hole through my firewall on the inside of the cab yesterday with a 2" hole saw to run a wiring harness through. I checked to make sure nothing was on the other side and even pulled some measurments to be certain. Once I got the hole drilled and looked at it, I noticed I had caught about a inch of the hole right through my blower housing. Talk about feeling stupid.
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

14. solowookie

there this <a target="_blank" href=http://vtengineering.com/stovebolt/doh.jpg>link will make you feel better.</a>

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Me, I have NEVER done anything like that. Nope, not me! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! [​IMG]

We won't talk about leaving a rag inside the water pump pickup while rebuilding my GTO and not finding it till after I cranked it. Or all the wires I've broken after forgetting to disconnect them. Or cranking my Vet after a rebuild and watching a geyser of oil shoot up out of the engine compartment from the hole where the oil pressure sending unit should have been attached. Or crimping the oil pressure gauge capillary while working under the dash of the Vet and oiling down my new carpet later that night while out on a date. Ruined my dates nice new shoes to boot, needless to say, the date did not go well from that point. Or forgetting to tighten the worm clamp on the tranny lines of my 'Cuda and puking all the tranny fluid out on the shop floor when it blew the line off. I could go on for hours and still would not be able to remember them all.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

LMAO, oh geez I think you should rename this post solo. this could get very interesting indeed!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

17. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hehe, no worries you aren't the first to pull the broken bolt trick. At least you didn't crack the bell housing while trying to seperate it because you removed 5 bolts and forgot about the 6th one was because it was """broken off".
    Everyone is allowed one slip up per year, guess you got an early start[​IMG][​IMG]. Give me a week to catch up....
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Your not alone Jeff!

When I first started, I was pulling the cyl head off a inline six. I couldn't get this cyl head off the engine to save my-life. I had pry-bars on it, hammerd on-it (thiniking it was just stuck), somehow I ended up tring to use a pop-bottle jack under the intake, still wouldn't budge. I asked a buddy of mine to help me out, he says "You have all the bolts out right?" I replie with, (kinda-short, and slightly pissed) "Yeah, yeah, I got all the bolts out." He leans over the fender and says, "What about that one?" -*pointing to a bolt in the back of the cyl head*-
    "Yeah, all of 'em except that one, Thanks"

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

19. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I can beat that. I was taking off the heads on my 305, and thought I had all the bolts out. I couldn't get them off for anything, bendng pry bars and all. Well I called my brother in law (mechanic), and he asks me the same question and responded in much the same manner, pissed. Well come to find out what I thought was all the bolts was more like half the bolts. I had taken all the bolts out of the top where the rockers are, but had forgotten about the bolts that ran down the lower ouside of the heads. Talk about felling stupid. Man did my bother in law laugh when I told him.

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL!!![​IMG]
    How about dropping in an engine...getting it all lined up and the bolts started for the motor mounts and the bellhousing... and then you realize you left the flywheel off!!!

Or how about dropping in a motor, getting it just about bolted up and then finding out the torque converter and engine won't spin over... the torque converter wasn't indexed properly.
    ...I've never done anything like that.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.