Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok guys which clutch rules them all?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

It's time to buy my clutch and i would like to get the best. period. lets not look at prices just performance. Which would you choose?

2. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

LUK!!! I have installed Ram, centerforce, And some custom built setups in the dodges with the hopped up cummins but only luk has not slipped or busted the clutch disc.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153829

[​IMG]

Thats right!

Our new triple disc!!

The first one will be going to BigBadDodge.

13", 4200 lb. plate load, 3 clutch discs with 12 ceramic buttons or 12 feramic buttons per disc side totalling 72 buttons, 2 center plates at .400 thick, Billet steel flywheel with bronze inlay, all cryogenicly treated, completely SFI approved.

I think we're going to name the clutch "The Beast" [​IMG]

Peter

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Use a Luk. A centerforce is nothing but a Luk that is modified with weights to make it grab harder at high RPM. This really does nothing for a normal 4X4 unless you are mud racing or the like.

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a luk pro gold. This is officially the 11 billionth time I have recomended this clutch. Best clutch i've ever used. Hey seventyfourblazer, will your clutch fit on a standard chevy flywheel? It sounds badass by the way.

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I would of went with a nice clutch but timing is bad. Lost my fourth 350 tranny the other day and it came down to crunch time. I was in NAPA getting brake caliper and solonoid and I asked prices. They had a reman for cheap and a New clutch kit for double the cost almost. Not having much luck with reman clutches in my old mustang I went with the new one. I dont know how it will do but will find out soon enough. Now back to fighting with the steering coluum

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Then I would say...a Crower 4-disk peddle clutch, with an pneumatic controler system. One of those will only set you back about $7000. :D

8. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ive got a centerforce in my truck, i dont really like it, you cant really slip it its eaither engaged or disengaged

9. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I have a crower 4 disc setup that i will sell for about $3000. It Came off my john deere pulling tractor so making it work is up to you.:rolleyes:

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

LUK clutches here. They are fairly priced, plentiful from Car Quest (what we have here in town), and haven't heard problems about them yet.

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i got a autozone special... lifetime warranty.. $130 for clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and that lil collar....:crazy: Duralast I think.....
    holding up so far

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I'm using the Centerforce 2. Works great for me...

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I should say that I too ran the Centerforce 2 for many many years and it never not once let me down. In my research I found the centerforce is designed more for higher RPM enviroments..like in a car..Has something to do witht he weights that are mounted on the perssure plate...Luk has a good rep too so I made the switch...eaither one in my book work great...Oh on the Centerforce I also read the Dual Friction is 'too much' clutch for a truck...but that could just be opinion so??

15. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I put a Sachs in my Blazer, and it worked great... I could slip it, grip it and pop it, and it always grabbed up nicely without too much jerkiness.

16. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

How's the pedal effort on the CF2 and the LUKS?My stock clutch is doing the job for now but planning to upgrade later.

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ha ha ok maybe I wasnt thinking that clutches got up to the $7000 dollar price range when I made that comment. I am now educated on that fact and will proceed with caution before opening my mouth :D

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Very smoooth and easy especially compared to the old 3fork style :D

19. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

After smoking two stockers I switched to the centerforce 2 with the dual friction disc and it works great! Allways hooks no matter how deep and gummy the mud is. And yes you can slip this clutch when you need to it just takes more peddal finnese.
    Be warned though these clutches hit hard!! They can be abusive on drivtrain if you get stupid. I blew a ten spline coupler and broke the rear out put on a 465 last summer after dumping the clutch at high revs. in the mud.

20. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In all honesty, I like Perfection/Zoom clutches. I tend to feather the clutch A LOT and they have always held up even after the infamous burnt clutch smell/smoking clutch and blued flywheel. If LuK are even better, I'd go with a LuK if money is not a concern.

Since my junk sees a lot of mud ceramic really isn't an option. I've broken a ceramic disc driving around in the rain without the inspection cover on. I'm not a fan of Centerforce clutches at all.

I got to drive a Duramax with a 5600 with a Zoom ZVT clutch and it was nice to drive. Pedal effort was miniscule compared to stock but it didn't slip at all. I didn't want to beat on it but it was impressive.