Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, help me decide here

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by cybrfire, May 2, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Considering narrowing the front and rear of my blazer like has been done before. One of my biggest hangups about doing this is, I want to take my three sons wheeeling with me. Of course keeping the rear seat is out of the question on a narrowing job. I have come up with a solution that allows keeping rear seats. They would be more like those little s10 rear seats that face inwards. Ok for kids not so good for adults. I sit here pondering the pros and cons of the whole mod. What are some of the good things about this and what didn't you like about it? I guess overall I'm after less weight, being able to lower it more in the future. As an accumulative effect easier towing and pulling.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Why not get two of these, they bolt flat down, so you bolt them to the floor and they are setup for a 5 point harness.

[​IMG]

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just add another regular seat in the rear. Call it a 3 seater! I'm narrowing the f/r on my blazer one day...
    Pros are less sheet metal for rocks, you can see better, less weight.
    Cons are battery location in engine comparment. Would it be legal?

I can't wait to do mine... time will tell me when /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. cybrfire

Yeah I was thinking about using something like those. Still would want to face them toward the middle so they could be positioned close to the front seats yet still allow leg room.

I think I'm gona do it just holding back yet. Right now I don't have any engine trans or tcase in. It would be easier to do now probably. Got some new carpet that would have to go. Battery box that may have to be reconfigured for smaller interior space. Since I'm dumping weight, I have a CB that could go and a bearcat scanner as well.

Anybody that has done this, Did you have to dump the factory heater?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would just use a jeep rear seat. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used 2 of those Summit Poly seats with Corbeau harnesses and mounted them to a removable frame (clamps into the roll cage). Works great and light weight. And I can remove them for extra room when they are not needed. I also put my battery under the back seats, inside the frame rails.

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine used the seats out of the bed of an Isuzu Brat to put in the back of his buggy for his kids. They fit the truck, fit the kids and came with oh [darn] bars built right in.

It might not work for you but it’s something to think about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i have a rear yj fold and tumble seat that i was going to use for mine, but with the factory rear seat having seat belts i decided to keep it instead. you can still keep the rear seat it just depends on how much you taper the rear.

i could've prolly kept all the heater stuff when i did my front, but i went ahead and yanked it out since the rig will be completely open anyways..

9. cybrfire

Well I'm gona do it. Also dropping 4" of lift at the same time. I'll probably end up tapering it as much as I can and keep the heater. Gona do a partition and build a half soft top for it as well. That way I can still bomb around in the snow without having to wear a snowmobile suit.
    First got to find rear 4" springs. Need two sets.

I work for a place that builds rescue trucks and they have some really slick seat mounts that are small and when you aren't in them they fold up automatically. Spring loaded. I think they will be just right. If not them some of those cheap summit seats bolted to the roll cage.

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

When I did the S-Blazer body, I had to modify the floor below the rear seat to clear the fullsize frame. So I built a storage box into the floor. I needed a flip and fold seat to access the box, and I refused to use a Heep seat. I found Mitsu. Montero/Dodge Raider rear seats worked well, as do Isuzu Trooper (from the 80's) seats are nice for the application you are thinking.

11. cybrfire

thanks. I'll keep those in mind. did they come in black?