Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK heres an observation,men an women...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Oct 29, 2006.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

after watching toy commercials for the last few years i think that what we buy our kids creates who they are to a degree.when they are infants till 2 years the toys are aboot learning and motor skills.after that the boys turn to dinosaurs and trucks/cars.blocks to build things,little tool sets,action figures,legos,toys that come apart and go back together,things they have to build.girls toy seem to be barbies,kitchen sets,ponys and stuffed animals.how may times can you grill that fake hamburger till its no fun? how many times can you put water on the mermaids head to change its color till its boring???no challenges. no wonder my wife had time to get pissed at me??:laugh: i did all the cooking and house cleaning. she had nothing to do to distract her.:haha: two of my best friends growing up were raised a little different though. Coby and her sister Shawn rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles and drove trucks .Coby works for the post office and Shawn is a parol officer.so what do you guys think???

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you could be on to something. how many of these little crybaby emo wussees were raised in a child proof house? the only thing that was off limits to me was the medicine cabinet. everything else was fair game. i learned early on that not everthing is cotton candy, fluffy happy all the time.

3. boggerless

i try to teach my son that.dissapointment is always around the corner.but you keep moving on.also i find some women aren't happy unless they are un happy.if anyone wants to argue this why is there the LIFETIME channel? every show has a women falsly imprisoned or loosing there kids or being beat by the bad husband/boyfriend.a channel on 24/7 dedicated to "ABUSE" on women.:confused: :haha: WTF???

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

bogger may have a point about that lifetime crap... anyways, my wife's pregnant with our first, and our daughter will probably be raised in a tom-boy fashion, because thats how i am.... hopefully she'll grow up to be hard working and dedicated like her daddy LOL my wife would kill me...

anyways, the way you raise your kids and what you let them do, shapes them a lot more than most people think, i think...

5. boggerless

Coby and Shawn were the only kids, no boys. there dad was a OTR trucker so he spent what time he had raising them like boys.(by the by they are both stare all day beutifull).when we would go north to camp and ride they had there own truck and bikes.MAN i shoulda asked one of them to marry me.:doah: :D my best friend Mike married Shawn so between him being a cop and her a parole officer they gots lots O guns.:eek1:

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

man, i bet its heaven at their house around breakfast time. ALL THE BEST DOUGHNUTS!

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

And they can give each other crew cuts...........

8. boggerless

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. boggerless

he does have one.:haha: :haha:

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

and to open up a can of worms, b/c i know beaterk20 will really appreciate it, this is why gender is a social construction. :haha: sex is not a social construction, but gender is... ask any sociologist. :wink1:

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its true, its all how you are raised. I think my parents did a fine job raising my brothers, and I, well up till I had to give my littlest brother a reality check last week. He completely ignored his friends, and then talked back to my mom thinking he could do that. Two seconds later I had him up against the wall, he will not be talking back anytime soon, and his big head shrunk a little too. It seems that I in a way helped raise steve who is only 2 years younger then me. Steve and I have been out of the house for about 6 years so Kenny didn't "see" the example that we were setting for him. I think sibilings help in the raising and the way kids turn out sometimes even more then parents.

12. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I can't agree 100% about how a kids toys will totally determine what they will be like, though it may help alot of the time. When I was a kid my parents wouldn't allow me any dirt bikes or go-carts and I didn't wrench on anything until I was 15. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I can fix damn near anything and have built several motors, done body swaps, millions of modifications, can weld (ok)am a certified Airframes and Powerplants technician (11 years) Journeyman turbine mechanic. I'm also into SCCA, motorcycles, and off-roading. Why do I mention this? Because my toys of choice were action figures like Star Wars and Micronauts (aka-boy's dolls) and books and video games.

Gotta admit I BEGGED for a go-cart and dirt bike.

I really like the way you ar going to raise a girl like a tomboy. The term may get a lot of derision from certain circles, and I think that there is definitley a need for girls to be allowed to be girls, but the social barometer is disturbing when the toys of choice for girls is "brats dolls". What kind of values does that stuff teach? The self reliance taught from sports and outdoors activities will last forever.

13. boggerless

very true.

14. boggerless

i don't think the toy makes the whole person growing up i just think there should be more choices for girls.:dunno: maybe not having a daughter and no sisters makes me not see the whole picture??

15. Confedneck79K30

well i was an only child... all my cousins were boys, ive been best friends with the same guy since i was 12.... but ya know im gonna have to build a weedeater powered heep powerwheels...

tom cruise? dat you??? lol

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

colby, go hug a tree.

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Colby..aren't gender and sex are the same thing?.. I think what you are referring to as being social constructs are actually gender norms, or "behaviors considered normal for boys and girls as defined by a given culture"

I could be wrong though.. sociology class was many years ago..

Tom

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Daryl.. interesting topic..I think to some degree that toys will influence what kids become.. my wife's dad wanted sons, he got 2 girls instead.. so lisa's christmas mornings consisted of getting both barbies AND tonka trucks, AND an ez bake oven ( remember those?).. her dad tells me that the barbies went for rides in the tonka truck, and as she got older she bought a camaro that she worked on and went to chef school, so you might be onto something.

Tom

19. Confedneck79K30

well i had a fire engine powerwheels and i ate a lot of beans, now im not a fireman, but i fart a lot.. LOL

20. boggerless

like i said Tom, it's just something i've noticed the last twenty years.AND i remember the ez bake oven!:haha: it made some doughy pizza but i felt like a chef when my cousin Carrol let me try.and i like to cook now !! SEE!!!!!:laugh: