Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, how about this idea for an in-tank TBI fuel cell (*New pics*)

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by CK5, Jul 16, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

First of all, thanks for the link Ed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This piece (GM lock ring) can be bolted to the top of a fuel cell so you can use your standard GM in-tank sender/pump.

http://www.metco-inc.com/fuel/fuelcelladapt.shtml

[​IMG]

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: OK, how about this idea for an in-tank TBI fuel cell

Not knocking your idea but why not just get a cell with a 90 ohm sender and use an external pump? Seems like a lot of trouble to retain the OE assembly. Wouldn't the cell have to be the exact same depth as your OE tank for the OE sender to read correcly?

3. CK5

An internal pump will last longer due to it being cooled by the fuel it is sitting in. An internal pump is less likely to stall due to fuel starvation. An internal pump is nicely protected being in the tank instead of located on the frame rail somewhere etc.. No need for adding foam in the fuel cell to keep a pickup in place.
    My TBI intank pump (walboro) setup has worked flawless for 10 years as well as driving on the door (when I had doors) with never a stall, if something works that well I don't like to mess with it.
    Plus I would have to ditch my 150.00 pump and get a new 200.00 external pump. It would be much "less" trouble to keep the factory setup.
    It is easy to change the depth of the factory sender/pickup, a lot of cell's are very close to 11-12" deep anyway.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That all looks good Steve, I understand your liking of the intank pump. I probably would have one if I had found that when building the buggy.
    That said external pumps have treated us well so far. Don't know how long that will last by right now all is good.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    An internal pump will last longer due to it being cooled by the fuel it is sitting in. An internal pump is less likely to stall due to fuel starvation. An internal pump is nicely protected being in the tank instead of located on the frame rail somewhere etc.. No need for adding foam in the fuel cell to keep a pickup in place.
    My TBI intank pump (walboro) setup has worked flawless for 10 years as well as driving on the door (when I had doors) with never a stall, if something works that well I don't like to mess with it.
    Plus I would have to ditch my 150.00 pump and get a new 200.00 external pump. It would be much "less" trouble to keep the factory setup.
    It is easy to change the depth of the factory sender/pickup, a lot of cell's are very close to 11-12" deep anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more. Nice find! I was planning on making one...

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I like that too. The more OEM design parts used means that the local Napa or Carquest is going to have one late Saturday afternoon in BFE so you can keep wheeling all weekend instead of waiting for that external pump from Jegs or Summit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    That said external pumps have treated us well so far. Don't know how long that will last by right now all is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I think your fine, I just happen to still have the intank setup with a nice pump and saw this, would make things real easy.

8. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I thought that might be what you where looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I like this idea. Is this made to fit any specific cells, or is it meant to be universal (i.e. hack up a hole my brand new $230 cell)? How much does it cost?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. CK5

They are 99.00, it is meant to be universal, not sure if you want to hack up a cell, I for one would use a holesaw. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The hole should be 6-1/2" wide. Looks like most cells have the filler directly in the center, I would think you could unbolt that and drill the larger hole for the sender/pump and mount that dead center then drill a smaller hole off to one of the sides for the new filler location. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. CK5

OK, have this thing sitting on my desk now, looks a little different from the picture on their site, it is one hunk of alum, my hand does fit through it but still should be a pain to install from the outside, quality looks great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

be sure to tie that allen wrench to your finger! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. CK5

Yeah, looks tricky, of course if I had a custom alum cell made I could simply have them weld it on. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. miniwally

Thats what your son is for. Just have Zack put all the bolts in little kid finger tight then you can tighten them up. Looks like a nice peice of AL.

Quick question.
    Does that mount to the top of the cell where the normal filler cap goes. I take it that it does. I see the gaskets in the pic. but they look like normal gaskets. On my cell the ring has a nice rubber gasket. Make sure that you use a good gasket. My filler doesn't leak but Stephens does a bunch. Both use the same gasket, one leaks the other doesn't, Go figure. FYI

15. CK5

I could just have it welded, would be a whole lot easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. miniwally

Ya but think of the father son bonding time you could have. You drinking a cool beverage and Zack getting mechanical knowledge early in life. Besides it would be fun for him, well for about five minutes untile the next bright shiny object is spotted.

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think you could unbolt that and drill the larger hole for the sender/pump and mount that dead center then drill a smaller hole off to one of the sides for the new filler location. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I was wondering how you'd fill the tank with the sending unit installed. But then I thought I little harder and relaized the stock sending unit would have the filler neck in it and you wouldn't need to drill another hole in the tank for a filler.....

18. CK5

The stock sending unit does "not" have the filler in it.

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

HHMMM...... I'll check my 89 p/u tonight. It's been a while since I swapped the pump in it when we changed it back to TBI, but I thought it was all in one like the carb'd blazers. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Of course you all know I'm a little " /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif" anyhow! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine, and those TBI senders I recall seeing, are all without the filler neck. The filler neck on those is in the tank itself.