Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok how to store Drive shafts and axle shafts spares.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I want to get my trail spares out of my storage box and permently mounted.

First thing I need to do is come up with a way to keep splines, bearing and seal surfaces from rusting. I'm thinking of a thin coat of paint and take my chances of the paint hurting the bearings and seals.

Next question is where to mount them. I figured some sort of bracket and radiator clamps and bolt it into the sides of the bed. Anybody do this and have some pictures to share?

I think my spare tie rod is going under the truck. I'm leary of this location for tha axle shafts because of the amount of crud I would have to clean off before using them. Drive shafts a little of the same concern because of the U-joints.

Pros and cons?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about in a piece of PVC pipe with caps on the ends. Maybe seal it with some silicon caucking from the outside os it could be cut with a knife? Throw a light coat of oil on it before you put it in there. Maybe some desicant too.

Kris

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Out here in AZ I see alot of axleshafts stored under the truck. But back east with all the mud and crap it might not be the ideal spot for unprotected storage. Driveshafts and such you could mount to a rollcage and axleshafts might be stored well under the hood somewhere. I personally have mine inside my truck behind the spare tires, but that is temporary until I get time to mount them somewhere better.

I put a coat of spray paint on my spare axles. I figure a little spray paint on the bearings is better then having rust, dirt, or corrosion on them.

Harley

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i say put the tire rod under the truck and the PVC pipe up on the roof (if present) or up under the lip of the bed. put a decent film of bearing grease on the caps to keep out moisture though.

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i second the pvc idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Paint is good and so is a light coat of grease. I like to use hoseclamps to keep stuff hung below my bed rails.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I can't find anything when I need too, But somewhere I saw a pic of the PVC thing, and it looked like a slick set up....

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I carry front shafts in a piece of pvc pipe.I also have a complete front drive shaft hooked to the side of the frame using some brackets I made.Ive been thinkin of putting my spare tie rod underneath somewhere too.But I dont do mud so I can put just about what ever I want under there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Crapy pic but my HiLift and pvc pipe with my axle shafts are right above the spring hanger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How about getting a can of that plasti-dip stuff that you use for tool handles and dipping the splines in it? The stuff peels right off when it's dry and will keep any contaminants out of the splines, so when you need the spare just peel it off and you'll have nice clean splines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm planning PVC between the rails for my spare D60s complete shafts. Should be able to get both in one tube along with the spare hubs and cap the ends. I've got the Spicer anti-corosion papers that came on the new shafts to wrap around them to store. Also, look for spray cosmoline, good stuff for storing parts like that.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That's the pic I was talking about....

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't have pics, but a buddy of mine put all his long stuff like that under his blazer. Now he had a 2" body lift tho.

What he did was cut an access hole in the floor of his bed, welded in a box to the underside of the floor, and hinged and reinforced the piece he cut out for the access door. Works really slick and everything stays dry and clean and has more room inside for tools and stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, when I was carrying them, the long tie rod and the long inner 44 axle shaft (with stub and ujoint) I kept zip tied to the seat mounting brackets behind the front seat. It was quick, it fit, it was out of the way and I used electrical tape to wrap the ends of the splines to keep them clean and rust free.

Depdog

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
  15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That is what I was thinking is something like that. I dont know if I like the PVC pipe for a couple reasons. Those parts get sliding around they are going to make noise and possibly bust the PVC. Where I want to mount the shaft I may not be able to get the long shaft into the pipe because of the set back on the side walls to the gate (no interrior pannels)

How about rear axle shafts for a 12 bolt? That's the one I'm really perplexed on because of the wheel flange.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

bubble wrap. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've tried it for .. umm. other delicate items, and it worked fine, didnt bust through the PVC. PVC's really only bust through from extreme sharp external impacts, and any impacts to the edge. The thicker stuff is the one you want.

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I usually pack things like that with grease rags to stop the movement. Then, when I pull it out to install, I have plenty on hand.