Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok I can't find a decent barn door burb, can I make one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I can\'t find a decent barn door burb, can I make one?

the Only Barn door burb 88-91 3/4 I could find is a POS. Found a VERY clean 88 with 71,000 original miles and EXTREMELY well maintained. Just has a tail gate but I'm going to make an offer on it today. Maybe mine by tomorrow night.

Can it be made Barn door? Is this a bolt on deal or is there a structural difference?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Ok I can\'t find a decent barn door burb, can I make one?

No, you cannot barn door the 88...gm stopped making the bolt in swap in like 82 or 83. You either have to find a burb pre-81 or the only other way to do it is to get a donor burb and cut of the ends of both and then graft it back together again /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif PITA if you ask me

3. Grim-Reaper

Bummer.
    Only two things I don't like is the lack of barn doors and the Blue over white paint. If I could bolt on swap the doors then that would giveme an excuse to paint the white silver or paint the white blue and make it solid blue. This Burb has been garaged most of it's life other then when it was pulling a Airstream around a few weeks a year. It had the late 80's paint problem and has been repainted.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

barn doors vs tailgates, both have pros and cons. Its more or less a personal preferrence when it comes to what you want. My old 2wd 75 burb had barn doors and I loved it. My 4wd 75 burb that i have now has a tailgate, there are times i wish i had barn doors, but for the most part, I like the tailgate...can roll the window down on hot days, no need to worry about the lock not working, the latch on the drivers barn door is very hard to fix if it gets messed up.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You know the funny thing is that you want barn doors. I cant find one with a tailgate around here. Everyone has those doors. I just find it funny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John [​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    You know the funny thing is that you want barn doors. I cant find one with a tailgate around here. Everyone has those doors. I just find it funny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John [image]
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/1907confederate.gif[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I can find plenty of half tons with barn doors. It's the 3/4's I can find. All but one 3/4 that is for sale in a 75mile radius is gate. I found a coule half tons I wouldn't mind 90% of the time but they just can' handle dragging my Jimmy I'd be around 8500lb on a trailer. Just to much for the 10 bolt and the 5.7.