Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok I changed my oil and noticed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jul 7, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I changes the oil in my truck yesterday and I noticed that there is a hole in the in the transmission it right next to the oil pan. It looks like there is fluid coming out of it. And then I look back at the front of the drive shaft and it looks liek there is fluid that has come out its on the bottom of my truck on the drive shaft and the tranny. Does anyone have a clue what it is ????

And how to fix it?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There is a drain hole in the fly wheel cover. It sounds like that may be what you are looking at because it is right next to the oil pan. As for the leak it sounds like the input shaft seal in the tranny. Mine is doing the exact same thing. The Tranny fluid going down the front shaft could be the T-case seal too.
    Brent

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like either your front main tranny seal is bad or your torque converter is leaking (not good).

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Same thing happens to the torque convertor as the damper. The seal gets hard over time and will wear the torque convertor and cause a leak. I believe you can get a repair sleeve for the convertors too if I'm not mistaken.

5. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

if that seal to the tcase is bad replace it quick cause the fluid thats supposed to be in the tranny will go into the tcase and youl burn up your tranny.

6. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok so what do I need to change the seals then? How hard is it to do? Will I need to take the trannsmission out? will I need to jack the truck up? Or will I be able to lay on my back and change it from there???

Thanks Brian

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Gonna have to drop the tranny and pull the torque converter off, and look at the seal on the converter and the tranny input shaft, see which one is leaking. Good luck.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

He shouldn't have to worry about the transfer case because his NP208 runs on ATF also.