Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK I give up I need help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Moose, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I just bought my Sub its a 1990. Well the brake light was on so I ran a code scanner on it and it was flashing error code 19. Looked in the book and that said brake light switch but my brake lights work fine. So now I'm confused?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well there is a pressure switch on the proprtioning valve that will also throw a light and it may be that. It indicates a loss of fluid pressure. On the older trucks it is mounted on the front crossmeber under the radiator and the wire runs up over the frame to the core support wiring harness.
    It may be something as simple as needing the drum brakes adjusted to get it to quit. There is also 2 sets of switches on the peddle on some trucks. One for the tail lights and one fore the cuise control and possibly that is why your tail lights work but still get a code from the other switch. Check a year newer than your truck and see what code 19 stands for. It is possible that you have a trasistional truck that has a little bit newer wiring and computers.
    Does your truck have ABS? Whole new set of issues if it is ABS related. It maybe that on a ABS equiped vehicle code 19 is a genneral fault code and not spicific to the switch's

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

When I got my truck out of the transmission shop I had a CEL also. It turned out to be the anti-lock needed to be reset from when they test drove it or something. I suppose they ran it without the speedo hooked up. Pull the anti-lock fuse out for about 15 seconds and replace it to see if the light goes away. FWIW, my 1990 GM factory service manual doesn't even list a code 19 for any 1990 GMC vehicles... Are you sure that's the code you're getting? Maybe you mis-read it? You should have two brake light switches under the column. Check to make sure they're both functioning properly. You can use a meter or a test light to verify if they're working ok.

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Ahem...i seem to remember that a certain person i know improperly installed the front brake hose copper washers...leading to a massive fluid leak...and when he fixed it did he bleed the brakes (Moose)...lol.

DW

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey I thought I was the only one that did that![​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]