Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, I gotta get one - tell me why

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, May 14, 2001.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Bought the wife a 99 Tahoe 2 door about a month ago (she works for the USDA, and goes out on the farms alot, so she finally talked me into it). I love it (first 4x4). Of course, I've always liked the older vehicles myself, and I had origianlly planned on getting an older 4X4 truck, but the Blazer's are just talking to me... I gotta get one. I picked up Peterson's 4-Wheel & off road, and in their 10 Best Picks, they list the '73-'75 Blazer/Jimmy...one reason is that 'Every parts store stocks your parts'
    So, I have some questions about the first generation K5's
    1) how easy is it to find parts (OEM and aftermarket)
    2) how prone to leaks and/or rusting are the tops? (any more than the later year 1/2 tops?)

I've got an '80 El Camino to get running and get rid of before I can get one...hopefully get it running in the next week or two, and stick it out for sale, then start looking for a K5.
    I did notice that there don't seem to be alot for sale out there...bought a Truck Trader magazine and an Old Car trader...pickings are slim.
    Thanks in advance...any info is greatly appreciated.

NRA Annual Member
    TNUSA Annual Member

2. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

The first gens are the best. I have had a lot of trucks, but when I get in my 72 JIMMY I get a smile on my face. I am sure others on this board know the feeling. When it comes to parts, it's a CHEVY alot of interchange. I am seeing more and more after market parts also, though not as many as as the second gen. As far as leaks it's all in the maintenance of your seals. When you take the top off it's great. Try trader online, or Ebay, you can see whats out there.

3. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

i would say get rid of the hard top for a soft top. and the parts are really interchangeable, you can use parts off of other year blazers and trucks with no problem(usually)

jeremy

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You will love it. Parts are not only easy to find but cheep as well (eg. brake caliper w/ hardware kit for $12). The top on mine doesn't leak any more (the top is in the back yard and the Blazer is in the driveway), but they can't ever rust because they are fiberglass.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

BD,

As a NRA LIfe Member and the owner of 3 72 K5s, welcome to the club. Find yourself a blazer, and get to work on it. Don't worry about parts, there's lots. One big problem, depending where you buy your truck, is rust. Check the rocker panels, inner floorboards, inner wheel wells and tailgate areas. Before the 72-87 models, came the 1st gens. Frequently copied, never duplicated.

I do a lot of hunting in Montana. Mostly Whitetail, Muleys and Elk. Lots and lots of varmits (rockchucks, gophers, coyotes) and smoe speedgoats.

I hear that there are some BIG Whitetails in Joejah. Can u confirm this?

Harry

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

First Gen K5s ROCK!! They are with out a doubt the best rig EVER built!! Hands down! I will keep mine forever and I hope my son grows up to be a good guy so I can will it to him when I die. No way he is gittin it before that!!![​IMG]
    Warning!!! If you do get one you will be hooked. Day and night that is all you will ever beable to think about!!
    GoForIT

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

You'll be hooked soooo bad.. You might end up like me... One 1st Generation and One 2nd Generation...
    Do it.. Do it.. Do it... !!! You won't be disappointed.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I got my '72 as a hunting vehicle, dog show vehicle, and daily commuter (it's not my commuter any more). It was heavily abused and neglected by previous owners. It was still a good vehicle, although it was not really a nice driver. A little TLC (and some judicious modifications) and the thing is now quite nice (and can beat the p!$$ out of a V10 Dodge).

Some of the suspension parts interchange with later Blazers/trucks, either directly or with small modification. The transmissions and transfer cases are direct swaps. Engines are also direct swaps. Headers can be hard to find if you have a 4-speed. Body parts are of course unique to this series. Most of the body parts are available either new or repopped. Some NOS stuff is available as well.

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hear you JIMMY72custom ! I have the same big smille on my face as ever time I get in my 1972 Blazer

If you build it, the mud will fly!
    72 K5 blazer soon to be 1 ton with a 427 tall deck and TH400/NP205 and 12"of lift with 40"tires.

10. Leinie

Leinie Registered Member

I get that s@$t eating grin on my face everytime I leave with the top off. So does the dog.
    Even better are the looks I get from other people on the road, and mine isn't even in that nice yet !
    Don't forget to check the windshield frame for rust. They are not easy to find, and lots of work to replace. Check the body mounts for rust, and the floor boards if possible.
    Also, try to find one with all the parts. ( interior panels, seats, seatbelts, exterior trim, etc.)
    You may want to replace some of it, but you can always sell the leftovers to us !

72 K5 CST X 2

11. BrianDamage

Thanks for the welcome yall.... can't confirm the Georgia whitetails Harry, I just started deer hunting this past season (I'm 28 - late bloomer I guess)...so haven't had the op to check it out yet.

NRA Annual Member
    TNUSA Annual Member

12. BrianDamage

I knew the tops were 'glass, I guess I should have said the areas around the truck were the top fits....
    I thought I found one today... noticed a friend up the road has one in the yard... he's got several Suburbans & Chevy trucks.... must have recently got this one... he wasn't home, so I checked it out...2 wheel drive and a coupke of nice dents in the rear quarters...oh well.

NRA Annual Member
    TNUSA Annual Member

13. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The only area around the top that is sort of prone to rust is the windshield frame, unless you (or someone before you) has been careless in installing/removing the top or the gaskets that seal the top to the body are left bad for a long time.