Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK I guess I'll get a lockright for the front.... videos

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 20, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK I guess I\'ll get a lockright for the front.... videos

clicky ... then do the right click "save target as" on the videos and let me know what you think! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Lockright for 10bolt front $288?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: OK I guess I\'ll get a lockright for the front.... videos

Don't know the price, but looks like they work from the video /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 81sb

81sb Registered Member

I just installed the lockright in my 12 bolt rear this morning. Got it for $200 even from Jegs. Only got a chance to try it out on the ice and snow on the streets but it seems to have made quite a difference.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2 things i noticed about the videos... the old Ford made it across so easily, but did you happen to notice how much faster he hit the rollers than the other trucks? considerably faster. also, with the "Trans Am" and its open diff... there is no such animal. a Trans Am is the high performance model, therefore it gets all the goodies. traction devices included. i have never seen a 93+ TA with an open diff.

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I just installed the lockright in my 12 bolt rear this morning. Got it for $200 even from Jegs. Only got a chance to try it out on the ice and snow on the streets but it seems to have made quite a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock Right Automatic Positive Locking Differential - GM 10 Bolt (28 Spline)
    Item # 754-1920 1 x $195.99

Lock Right Automatic Positive Locking Differential - GM 14 Bolt (10.5"Gear, 30-Spline)
    Item # 754-1955 1 x $207.99

Order Total: $403.98 plus shipping /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Once I get a job I'll have to order this!

Hows the snap crackle and pop going around corners? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

No noise to be heard out of mine.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are limited slips REALLY that useless??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes they are.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Loose ones are. You can stick 800lb springs in them so when tooling around in your f-body you get to listen to your tires squeal when going around corners.

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Are limited slips REALLY that useless??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I like the auburn in my truck but thinking about snow and playing I've been told that I had one tire in the front and one tire in the back snipping when I got highcentered /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

On dry payment I have no problems breaking both tires loose /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyone play in the snow, or drive on the highway in the snow with a lockright? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone play in the snow, or drive on the highway in the snow with a lockright? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap. Rear, don't even know it's there. Front, it blows donkeys in July.

12. jjlaughner

so you run lockrights front and rear... what about whenthe front end is unlocked and your in 2wd? Is the front still a problem?

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As long as you have locking hubs up front you will never notice the lockright on the street. It is effectively disconnected, even if you are in 4 wheel drive until the hubs are locked.

I run a lockright front and I like it. No problems as of yet. I only have a few runs on it but it is fine. I ran my truck in the snow in Colorado 2 winters ago. With the welded rear I never needed 4x4 in normal snow. The only time I used 4x4 was in 30+" of snow during the blizzard. In snow that deep you want dual lockers anyway.

Harley

14. CyberSniper

Since if you've got your hubs unlocked and your transfer case in 2wd there is nothing moving you won't even notice the locker.

However, it is common practice where it snows a lot (like around here, 300" per season) to leave your hubs locked for extended periods of time and just run 4wd as needed.

This causes the axleshafts to rotate which in turn causes the front driveshaft to spin. The steering with the locker in the front is heavier than with an open differential. I'm not entirely sure why. Furthermore, if you turn full lock around a corner chances are the locker is going to engage and you'll feel and hear a "bang".

While running in 4wd with the hubs locked there is quite a bit of bind in the system unless it is really slippery out. For example, when I'm driving down the road when it is mildly slippery in 4wd I can have my steering wheel up to 3/8ths of a turn trying to fight the truck to keep it going straight. Then when it gets slippery and the bind is let loose the truck jerks in the direction you had the steering wheel pointed and you scare the people next to you because you suddenly lurched at them. Most people will tell you that if they've got front and rear lockers they can have their steering wheel turned 1/4 turn either direction and it has no bearing on where they go.

However, when it's really slippery out nothing beats that front locker. If you think a Talon TSi or Lancer Evolution launches hard, you've never been in a locked truck. I've been stuck in a snowbank (my own doing) and I got one front tire to contact the ground and it pulled me out. I was pretty far up in the snowbank with all four tires off the ground. I dug under the front of the truck until it dropped down and then let the locker in the front pull me out.

Running in 4wd with the hubs unlocked is a good way to ruin hubs.

15. jjlaughner

I was 100% sold on running a lockright in both rigs till I just read this /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess the daily driver (99% street rig) will stay open front/auburn rear, the project truck will probley get a lockright in the front and rear though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It will see street use cruising to and from locations, including some summer cruises down the strip with the top off /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. CyberSniper

I'd go LockRight in the rear and clutch-type limited-slip in the front. In fact, if I'm ever to have another daily driver/woods-ready vehicle that's what I'll do. Auburns and their loose cones are like a condom, use it once and throw it away. The only Auburns I've ever seen in action will allow that "loose" tire to spin madly. For example, If you were to put one tire on gravel and one tire on asphalt you'd never break the asphalt tire loose but the gravel tire would spin madly. Sure, it's still 10x better than open but it pales in comparison to a locker.

I don't even notice the rear locker. It's predictable unlike the Detroits I've driven. It'll stay unlocked even if I roll the throttle on like you would through a left hand turn. You can get it to lock when you want though.

If I had to choose dealing with the nuissance of the front locker or having an open front I'd still choose the front locker. Maybe when I'm forty I won't want to deal with that but as of right now it's a small price to pay for the superior traction in the bush.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hows the snap crackle and pop going around corners? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is beyond noisy at times but I've got 80W-90 in it.

Still no complaints.

If I were to drive a locked rig in the snow I would only lock one front hub.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If I were to drive a locked rig in the snow I would only lock one front hub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you only lock one front hub? Wouldn't that mess things around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

its just like having an open diff, all it would do is deliver power to the tire that is locked, therefore giving you better traction than 2wd and better steering than 4wd locked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. CyberSniper

Hubs don't like it when the axleshaft spins inside of them without being locked.

Driving around in 3wd doesn't benefit me any in the snow. It still pulls the truck all over the road. You just know that the only time you'll be fighting it is when you're trying to accelerate.

I can't hear my rear locker. The front one you can hear and sometimes feel.