Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, i have some questions about my TH700R4 Transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Feb 11, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

now you always here people talkin about the TH350 and the TH400 but what about the TH700R4. I just want to know what quality transmission it is since i have one. my father work the S%!# out of that tranny before i bought the truck from him. i had it rebuilt even though it didnt need it. so basically is it a keeper or not? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah I like mine the overdrive is a plus with lower gears you can maintain some of your economy and highway driveability. Cons are they are more expensive to fix and build up to be abused. Aftermarket cooler and good maintenance is my advice.

3. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 83 blazer. ALL my offroad buddies say get rid of it and put in a 400 or 350 tranny, but I love it. You have to baby the thing a little more I guess, such as keeping an eye on fluid levels. I paid $1200 a year and a half ago getting it rebuilt and installing a shift kit into it. She has no probs now and I get decent gas mileage rolling 35" mickey baja claws.
    web page

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you do a little searching here you will find more info on the 700R4 than any other tranny because of the mixed opinions on it.
    It's great because of the lower first gear 3.05~ and the overdrive, the only problem with it is heat and the right gearing will take care of that along with a quality cooler.
    Now the limiting factors are HP levels, no one can guarantee it to last behind anything with more than 450 HP so if you don't have more you should be fine.

5. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

It also depends on the year of the tranny... 700R4s had some critical upgrades from '87 on, resolving some strength issues that the pre-87s had. I love mine though... I just had it rebuilt with a HD 1st to 2nd snychro and a shift kit. They can be strong with the right upgrades, and price-wise, making a couple key upgrades to a 700 is a lot less damaging that having to convert.

The truth remains however that if you were to put a factory TH350, TH400, and 700R4 right next to each other, the 700 is always going to end up the weakest (I hate that word) of the bunch. Then again, as said, the 700 has got the lowest 1st gear and overdrive.