Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK.......i heard something really cool....i wonder if it works

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

If you take your air cleaner cap off and flip it upside and then screw it down could it give you anykind of significant horsepower gain for the street. A friend told me it helps air flow and gives alot more power.

350/TBI/3.73Gov-Lock/31"s

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It makes a really cool sound when you floor it with the lid flipped. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it doesn't really make much, if any, more power. It just "sounds" faster. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It lets the engine breathe a bit easier, but it also feeds hot air into the engine. Hot air is less dense, so it makes less power. If your truck has a snorkel that draws cool air from the grill or fender, then it's difficult to improve on that design. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i've heard it but never tried it.won't hurt anything i guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Ive been running mine flipped w/ a K&N for years and I think it makes a difference. Its nice to hear when the secondaries are opening, and when I do flip it back over in the stock position (usually for smog or something stupid) I do notice it.. placebo is a bitch but I think I see beyond it.

If the motor is anything more than stock and could use the extra breath, it will help. The stock snorkel & inlet on mine is pretty restricting (1977).. with the rest of the motor built to breath well (sb400, intake, & exhaust), it should make a difference. Only one way to find out though, right! it definately wont hurt anything

mike

5. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I have heard of this also but cant seem to picture how it would worked if you flip it over? Does anyone have a pic of this they can post up here? Maybe you have a different syle of air filter cover.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Harry, not much gain unless you have a very restrictive snorkel. Even then, the better fix is to make a double snorkel or a larger single snorkel. Cooler air is much better that engine bay air any way you look at it, and the filter will generally last longer without ingesting engine bay dust and trash kicked up by the front tires.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I did it for awhile. Since the stock air cleaner is the same diameter as the flat top of the cleaner top, they fit together. Does sound good. But I just ditched the whole thing and went with an open housing. I did keep my stock setup for smog purposes.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You wont notice a huge difference but it will sound cooler. Give it a try and see what you think. Its a free mod.

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

grr. . .i don't think my secondary even opens. . . i ran it for a minute with the air cleaner off and told a friend to floor it and the rear two barrels never appeared, the little flap covering them didn't budge, then when i opened it manually it made no difference. do i have a clog on my carb or something?

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ive heard somewhere before that the secondaries dont open unless the engine is under a load...

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The secondary top doors are on a spring and open with vacuum. They can be blocked if the chock is on. they may not open just sitting there as there is no load on the engine. Flip you aircleaner lid over and go for a drive. Floor it and you should hear a load whhhoooooommmm noise that will get your blood pumping. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    . Cooler air is much better that engine bay air any way you look at it, and the filter will generally last longer without ingesting engine bay dust and trash kicked up by the front tires.

[/ QUOTE ] yeah i agree, i have an open cleaner with a 14x4" K&amp;N and i'm gonna go to a snorkel before the summer /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a good modification on the stock cleaners is to add another snorkel to the cleaner base like how you see on the HO 305 camaros and firebirds of the third gen years, or just get entire assembly from one, they are black with red HO 5.0L writing on them

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Makes a diff whether you have mass air flow sensor or MAP sensor.MAP uses manifold pressure so won't affect it MASS could cause check engine light to come on.Injected only.Works good on carbs.less restrictive.Just make sure it still seals the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh, TBI here, hmm, that changes thing a lil

16. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

If you flip your lid make sure you dont splash through any puddles or your motor will get a good drink. Which is a bad thing. Plus the hot air doesnt do the power any good. But does mak it sound good.