Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, I Really Need Brake Hose Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 20, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Alright folks, need some serious help here.
    I recently swapped mid '70s running gear(outboard hub D44 and FF 14 bolt) and lifted in 4 inches into my '84 K5. Everything is hooked up, except for the front brake hoses. I am trying to use the front calipers on the Dana 44. The bolts that run into the brake hoses are bigger and they look a little short. I tried going to a wrecking yard and pulling some brake lines off a mid '70s GMC 3/4 ton, it didn't have outboard hubs and one brake line was cut off so I said screw it, not gonna work.
    Will Mid '70s brake hoses tie in with my '80s brake lines?

Through my searches on CK5.com it looks as though I could use the brake calipers off of my old 10 bolt front end, then the bolts would fit! Will the brake pads I bought for the dana 44 work? will it have as much clamping power as the 3/4 ton calipers?

Also, what can I do to make sure the hoses will be long enough at full droop? can I cut the little bracket holding the hardline in?

Long story short, do I need to just buy $110 BRAIDED extended brake hoses? and if so, what's the part number?

I'm sure this has been covered, but with my current internet skills, I'm having trouble searching the site for the info I need.

2. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

He'll still have to use 78+ calipers. calipers off the 10bolt will work, pads you bought should work with the 10bolt calipers, but your lines will still be too short.

4. WantedaDodge

I will check out the brake lines.

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Go to any hydraulic hose shop, and they will make up a hose to any length, and any fitting combo you need for cheap. You can get a stainless steel braid over the top if you feel like dropping the dough. I got a set of stockers made for me at my old work. I had employee pricing (cost price really) and I spent just under 11 bucks for both sides!!! dirt cheap man, check it out before you go to the corporations...

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

7. WantedaDodge

I checked all the hydraulic hose shops around here and no body wanted to touch my project. Why, I don't know, but they said it wasn't doable to get the fittings I had or something.

Anyhow, so can I use my Stock 10 bolt calipers then?

8. WantedaDodge

I guess a bigger question is, will a '70s brake hose tie in w/ an '80s hard line? Are the fittings the same? I really want to order brake hoses ASAP.

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i second black widow performance. his ck5 screen name is shane74