Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok i started, now what do i do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jan 13, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok i have a 76 blazer with super lift 6 inch, and some 35's, running a new tranny, with 203 transfew, and old motor, need more power, what gears would i be safe to run in my dana 44 up front and 12 bolt rear, till i can find some better axles, also after relocating my shocks in rear, im needing good shackles to give me more travel? what should i use and where can i get them? whats better with low gears, 400 or 350 motor? im needing general info on this, i drive it everyday, but some weekends when the neighbor takes his new toyota limedted out and runs circles around everyone else, i wanna be right behind him, running with everyone, alos need a good m/t tire, something taht will self clean, and climb on rocks a lil bit [color:blue] [/color]

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ultimatly you prolly want to get in a 14FF, but the gears are ok up to 4:10, and if you have 35" or bigger Id say 4:56 but the 12 bolt corperate will take it fine, till you start rockcrawling or putting serious power to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I'll trade you a pair of really nice 10 bolts for your POS axles, how about it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If your plan is for better axles (like 3/4 or 1 ton axles) then dont waste money regearing your existing 1/2 ton axles. Spend the money on the better axles and rebuild them while driving on your current set. Then just swap them in when ready /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought a set of 3/4 Ton axles for $250.00 Mine only have 373 gears, but it's alot better then then 1/2 ton axle's 308 gears !!!!!! You can easly find 3/4 Ton axles with 410 gears. Forget the 1/2 ton axles, total waste of time and money to regear them. Get the 3/4 Ton axles, you'll be happier in the long run.