Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, I wanna fix my body.

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by zcarczar, Jun 19, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well I decided I want a nice looking K5 again, but im wondering if I should go with fiberglas, or fix the factory quarter panels and put new front fenders on. What would you guys suggest? Its gonna pretty much stay away from the rocks, except for trails in the mountains, or the rubicon, but I think I could make everything removable so I dont have any problems there.

Also what should I use to pull the dents, I've seen some of those spot welders things that allow you to weld studs on and pull out stuff with a slide hammer, everyone is telling me thats what I should use, and I would rather use that instead of a ton of bondo.

The body also cracking at alot of the seems and has quite a few spot welds in teh tub that are pulling up, what should I do about those?

And lastly I have shocks going through the back, would I be better off tinning them in, or making some sort of boot to go around them?

Here are some pictures of what Im working with.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i'd either seriously cage it, or do what the ralley car guys do...stitch weld the seams in addition to the spot welds.

Grim Reaper had a great method for dents. Bang them out from the inside where you can, and the more inaccessable areas insert an uninflated basketball with an air line attached...then slowly inflate the ball. Fenders I don't usually bother messing with unless it's a real easy dent with no creasing. They're still too cheap and easy to find.

The stud welder would work too...but prolly spendy.

Rene

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have used a plunger with good success on the big dents. Could prolly get it to look decent.

4. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

The stud gun/dent puller would be worth it for pulling dents without having to get at them from behind. I have owned one for awhile and it is worth every penny.

www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=512&itemType=CATEGORY seems to have the cheapest prices on them, but Snap-On and Matco also sell them. ;)

This will allow you to remove most of the dents but some may be to small to weld a stud into or there may be a crease which will have to be finessed with a body hammer or smoothed out with a lightweight filler like Tec-flo(available at NAPA).

Hope it helps,

Tommy

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

harbor freight sells the stud guns as well.