Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok I went and got the sbc 400 today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Oct 27, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Now what to do with it? the block is perfect never been bored or decked. The heads are good and have been steam vented perfectly so there good to go. its got good piston's, cam but needs a crankshaft and oil pan its even got some old school holley valve covers. need ideas that arent very costly. i do know that parts for a 400 arent cheap. I need to send it to a machine shop to get everything cleaned up so should i bore it? Also im getting a 12 bolt posi with 4.11 gears for 100.00 from the same guy for the blue truck and its ready to be bolted up but ill have my buddy ronnie take a look at it to be sure before it goes in.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 400 and rebuilt it. I bored the block .030 to 406, 9.2 pistons, crank and rods machined,comp 268H cam, Performer intake, performer q-jet, ported stock heads with manley stainless steel valves, and high power HEI. Its good for 350 HP and around 450 ft pounds of torque. Much more than a 350 can do with the same upgrades. I would bore the block .030 over but only if it needs it. If it doesn't have a lot of miles on it than you might be able to just hone the cylinders out and re ring and bearing the motor. I would do some cheaper upgrades like I did but you can get a few more horses from say aluminum heads but that is where it gets expensive. It is up to you how much power you want and can afford. I have almost $3k in my motor complete and that isn't bad for a 400 complete rebuild. You will notice a big torque difference between a 400 and 350, that is why I prefer a 400.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get good heads. Screw the rest. Stock 400 heads suck, especially for a motor that's significantly more cubes than its sister motors. GET GOOD HEADS!! I can't stress it enough.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I also agree with what's allready been stated, be sure to get lower end correct. If it needs to be bored, get it done, get everything you can think of checked out at the machine shop. What are you looking for in the performance area ? This will determine what route you need to take starting with the bottem end. Also, parts for a 400 are about the same price as a 350, so it really doesn't cost any more to build a 400. And don't worry about the steam holes in the block and heads, both of my trucks have .030 over 400's, my 2wd truck - I had the steam holes plugged by the machine shop, and my 4wd truck has old model heads that didn't have the steam holes in them, but about 10 minutes with a small drill bit fixed that problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well what do yall think i could sell it for? I have a buddy wanting it for 300 but if i can get more outta it then that would be good. His got a 89 camaro 5spd dead 305 in it. I might be selling the 89 4x4 to get a garage and a sport bike. but idk whats going to happen yet i could just keep the 400 for a project for later..

6. rjfguitar

It depends if it's a 4bolt 0r 2 bolt main block. I paid 300 for my complete long block that was just a 2bolt main and I thought it was an ok deal because 400's are rare around here. A friend of mine paid $500 just for a 4bolt main 400 block, no heads, crank or rods, just the block. Don't let your friend put a great motor like that 400 into an 89' camaro. defanetly a 67-69 camaro but an 89'! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

my friend just finished his 400 for his 84 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    .030 over
    6" rods
    10:1
    dart angle plug aluminum heads
    comp cams 4x4 extreme cam
    performer RPM
    850cfm edelbrock

he hasn't broke it in yet, I am helping put together an exhaust tomorrow before he fires the motor

anyway, his short block cost about $1500 with machine work, new crank, pistons and rods

heads were almost as much $$$as the short block but they will make all the difference
    Get good heads and you will be much happier

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What do you mean, "only" two bolt main? The two bolt 400s are more desireable.

9. rjfguitar

Sure they are, because they're stronger than a 4bolt right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure they are, because they're stronger than a 4bolt right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Two bolt Vs Four bolt Vs Splayed

Two bolt main blocks are more common and easier to come by. Many will even argue they are stronger than their four bolt counterparts because they take less material out of the web of the engine block. A two bolt also gives you the option later of installing 4 bolt caps or splayed main caps -- the strongest combination possible. Keep in mind there are significant machine shop labor costs using this option.

If you plan to exceed 400 HP with a small block or 600 HP with a big block, you should use a four bolt block.

If you plan to exceed 500 HP with a small block or 800 HP with a big block, buy a two bolt main block and have splayed caps installed.

Be careful with certain 4-bolt blocks before you buy them, especially the 400 small block Chevy. It is very common for these blocks to be cracked in the web area near the mains.

[/ QUOTE ]

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

WOW, I will completely agree here....

13. rjfguitar

hmm, interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

See? You thought you got a raw deal but you did better than you even thought!

I've been looking for a 400 at the right price for a while. Found one that was 4 bolt main about 3 years ago and passed it up for that reason (wanted too much for not exactly what I wanted).