Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok..ill try asking here to..s-10 problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 27, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

been having problem with my truck wanting to stall when coming to a stop, likes to stall like after i push in the clutch, sometimes its fine, but sometimes it does this and havnt been able to trace it..

replaced IAC..runs better..but didnt improve it enough to make me think thats the problem..still stalls when coming to a stop sometimes...so i ran the codes..the only one i get was 24..which is vehicle speed sensor, and the only thing it tells me to do for this in haynes is check the throttle position sensor settings, and connetions to ecm. would any of these have anything to do with my problem??? if it makes a difference, truck idels kinda goofy too...i mean it runs nice but it seems to very between a couple hundered rpms back and forth

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Without a VSS signal, the ECM doesn't know for sure when the vehicle is moving or stopped. The "idle" program differs slightly when you back off the throttle while moving from the one for when the vehicle is stopped. Start tracking that problem down and you just may cure the stalling problem too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm..guess i should try a VSS then? and see what happens... does the VSS have any thing to do with the speedo though? cause that seems to work ok..

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A bad VSS will give both your problems. It will idle a little rougher than normal and it will sometimes die upon stopping. The reason is the computer uses VSS to tell if the vehicle is moving or not, if it is not moving it tells to IAC to raise the idle so the vehicle won't die because of a low idle situation. Even if the VSS is bad the speedo should still work.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

very interesting..hmm thats what i wanted to hear..well looks like im ganna give that a shot then..hopefully this will clear the prob up, its the only code the computer had stored to so..also the check engine light would come on sometimes while driving, and then go of, periodicly.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

seeming that it happens at idle speed then there wil be other things that need to be removed and tested and that would be items such as the TPS and MAP sensor and the IAC motor assembly should be cleaned anwyays

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the IAC is 2 days old, guy said he replaced the map sensor on it, and i could check the tps though, but yea wouldnt hurt to havem checked

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok is the vss located behind the gauge cluster or on the tranny in an 87..all haynes says is "later and earlier" models..well i dont know what they consider later and earlier...i need ot know becuase i just orderd one but now im not sure if its located behind the gauges or on the tranny.