Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok im gonna be dumb, will you all humor me for a min please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jul 16, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok cross over steering, i have struggled with this every since i been on this site, and i think maybe i figured it out
    humore me here
    the pitman arm, goes on the passenger knuckle right?
    and i need one of an old ford and its like 4 inch drop pitman arm?
    steering arm, goes on the box, that you have put a 2 wheel drive sector shaft in? right im still not sure which one i need, the lenght and so on with that one,but hopefully i know what its for
    the knuckle i need machined, to match drivers side, that the pitman arm goes on, www.wagonormachine.com is doing that for me,
    then i need a drag link, whi9ch connects my pitman arm, and steering arm, with a lh and rh tie rod ends, from super lift correct?
    ok here is my question, will it hit my sway bar?
    does the drag link need to be straigh or have a bend in it?
    and will a stock steering arm off a 2 wheel drive work, or is it a special arm? i think im understanding this and hate to keep aksing, but i want to do it right, but cheap, cause im a broke mo fo, lol
    thanks guys
    any input would help
    if im wrong, or right or have no idea what im talking about
    let me have it please
    rem, i cant afford the kit from ord, so please no ref to that site, id love to have their stuff, becausei hear nothing but good stuff about the quality of there products, just cant afford them, im looking for parts i can get at a salvage yard or something along them lines, used even, thanks

i ramble alot but in my mind it makes sense

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You cant run a swaybar because it will be right in the way, you need to run a bent draglink or you will have crossmember issues, and you need a special arm, the 2wd one will not work.

Dan

3. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Dan's correct, the 2wd steering arm wont work. My arm came from a Jeep Wrangler. To make a straight drag link work, you'll need to rework or replace your engine crossmember, or just go with a bent drag link. Heck, I went to the boneyard, got a tie rod from a mid 80's blazer, replaced the LH thread tie rod end with part # ES2010 from Autozone and bent the tie rod and shortend it in the middle and welded it back together. Works great, and cost me a total of $38.

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You got the arms backwards but other than that you are right you need superlift part #1104 for the drop pitman arm, search the net for a steering arm have seen them on ebay for 50 to 100. Ditch the swaybar you don't need it plus the draglink won't work with it there. Since the way you lift the truck varies with each person the draglink is hard to say straight or bent I went straight and never hit the crossmember but with zero rates did hit the spring. As for the steering box just get a sector shaft from a 2 wheel drive box doesn't matter which one as from the many I have seen that part is the same just the seals on the hoses are different on some. You need to take a broke ass road trip and I can show you first hand the trial and error Ihave done so you'll have a better idea. I have been working crazy hours and never seem to catch you on msn. Ryan

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Pitman arm goes on the steering gear. Steering arm goes on the knuckle.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

being that I drive my rig to the trail (sometimes 300 miles or so) I went with the ORD X-over kit for two reasons:

1) Its idiot proof. All the components are there and have been proven to work together

2) it has been proven to work well.

Some people might be able to "fab" their own, borrowing parts from here or there. But when it comes to making my rig turn right or going off a cliff, I personally prefer matched components.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

9. purple76pearl

thanks
    to everyone
    i know sometimes it doesnt seem like i make sense but some of this doestn make sense to me, so thats why
    but i just want to thank everyone for continuing to help me, and everyone else on here that is like me
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for k5 guys

10. purple76pearl

i Know Ryan, But I Cant Drive It On The Hgh Way Till I Get Some Bump Steer Out Of It, So That Wolndt Do Me Any GOod , lol Ill Get It On There, and Come Wheel With Ya How About That

and another thing
    i cant take my sway bar off, its too road wild as it is, if i take that off, ill end up in a ditch, cant have that happening