Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok I'm looking for more power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailromper, Jun 20, 2003.

1. trailromper

trailromper Registered Member

ok I\'m looking for more power

trying to find some cheap tricks to gain more power. Out of curousity I flipped the air filter lid upside down and now when I take off the tires will cherp and got some more low end torque by this, but the whinning noise it makes drives me nuts and I can't hear my dual exhaust .
    Is there anything else I can do for and alternative such as TB spacer and I seen in my summit catalog it has a TB calibrator has anyone tried it. Well if you can give me some ideas I sure would appreciate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: ok I\'m looking for more power

My TB spacer makes it whistle even more, but I did notice a little low end gain. I kinda like the sound.

-Brian

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I think that the spacer will net you more power on the upper end of the spectrum. Might be better if you were into muddin. I will atest to the whistling sound. Every vehicle I've ever seen that had a spacer whistled.

Kris

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but the whinning noise it makes drives me nuts and I can't hear my dual exhaust .

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude if that little sound makes it so you cant hear duals your system is WAY too quiet. I can hear the intake at idle and thats it with the lid flipped.

I wouldnt waste too much money on trinkets that may or may not help. Try removing unnecessary weight. Its free.
    How about different gears, that makes a huge difference
    Take the throttle body off and port it, its free
    Do you have headers?

I am going to be removing my a/c since it doesnt work anymore, that will be almost 100#. That equates to about 10 hp

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i put in a TB spacer a few months ago and i noticed a slight low end gain, quicker starts, and a smoother idle but mine doesn't whistle at all. if you do decide to get one check ebay. you can get used ones there. i got a brand new one for $40 including shipping from a company in New York. here is the company ebay page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2419478791&category=33558 their price went up $5 since i bought mine, but $43 still ain't bad.

also, MousePowrd,
    how do port the TBI? i've never heard of this, so could you please explain.

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I got the street electronics performance TBI spacer it has swirls in the ports so it makes a nice whistle almost like its Supercharged or kinda like those little rice burning cars with turbos when im pulling up next to or passing one of them i punch it to get that Whistle its funny. its also good at getting girls attention with the whistle and loud exhaust and the tires are pretty loud My buddy that sold his dodge for the yota is mad cuz his truck is so quite and he dosent want duals on a V6 cuz then it would be a bumble bee on crack. Get a Hypertech stage 2 chip and underdrive pullys,accel coil, flowtech headers, and the main power giver the Holly 144 supercharger add's up to 55% power increase like 100+ hp!!!

7. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The spacer will increase low end torque because it developes higher air velocitys at lower rpms. Small tube headers with a free flowing exhaust will help you also. Summits got a pair for just $79.

If your mechanically inclined then get some vortec heads and intake from a scrap yard.

Or just get a 100 hp shot of NOS, stock 350s can handle it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. trailromper

trailromper Registered Member

thanks for the advice, I'll check out ebay right now for some things

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You didn't mention what engine you have, but I'll assume a SBC...and my advice holds true for anything. Make sure you have all the basics covered. Good ignition, good air filter (like a AMSOIL filter) lose some vehicle weight, make sure your cooling system is up to speed...heat kills power especially in a computer controlled engine.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

stickers add 5 HP a piece...Lots of stickers..... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif