Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, im lost, help explain this...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96chevysfa, Apr 1, 2004.

1. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

sooo... i got my ORD crossover steering kit for my dana 60, but i had the arm modified for my knuckles since i retapped the studs for the arm to 9/16". so the arm fit fine, do now im about to install it and i test the bolts, on my truck i use the chrome lug nuts that i got from a tire shop, but i still had the old accorn nuts from when i first got the axles. both are the same thread, but on my 9/16" studs, only the chrome ones will thread, the accorns will thread at first, then it gets really really tight, and they arent stripping either, threads are all good. both lugnuts however fit on the axle, how does this happen?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Is one fine thread and the other course thread?

Kris

3. 96chevysfa

their both the same thread, both lug nuts thread to the hub, but only the chrom one threads to the knuckle. the studs were 9/16" fine, same as the lug nuts,... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Is this more than one acorn nut like the whole set? Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

5. 96chevysfa

they are all the same nuts, from my old axle, heres another pickle, the old nuts that were on the studs are not being used right now, but thread onto the hub, but no longer the knuckle studs. could the 9/16" lug nuts used change the thread just enough to make the other ones hard to put on? i tried to force the other ones on but it gopt really hard and i did not want to stripe the studs, so i removed them and there was no sign of stripping. i dont get it!!!!

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm lost bro, your trying to thread your lug nuts onto the studs for your steering arm? Am I getting this??

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I can relate to wat your saying. I had regular (not chrome) nuts on my rear and they were SUPER hard to get on and off, even hard for the impact, but the chrome ones go on no prob. Dont know why that is though.

8. 96chevysfa

yes, because the studs on the knuckles were retapped to 9/16" same as my lug nuts, and the ateering arm was setup to use stock lug nuts, and i wanted to use the regular accorn lug nuts on the arm, but they did not thread, however the chrome lug nuts with the same thread that i use on my wheels did thread.

9. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Different thread pitch maybe?

10. 96chevysfa

but they all thread onto the hubs for the wheels.

11. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Threads are marred, maybe chase them with a die?

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im about to install it and i test the bolts, on my truck i use the chrome lug nuts that i got from a tire shop, but i still had the old accorn nuts from when i first got the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very common for the old lug nuts to have stretched threads, they go on and off really hard. New lug nuts work well until they get worn. For some reason this seems to happen to the 9/16 X 18 lug nuts more often than other sizes. I just bought all new lug nuts for mine cause I was tired of fighting with the old ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 96chevysfa

but why do they work great on the wheels, i can thread them all the way by hand...

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry, dont understand what you are doing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I just know that the 9/16 X 18 nuts dont last well without stretching the threads.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Working in a tire shop I had this problem a lot. It seems that the chrome lugs are made with a loose fine thread pitch to allow for the chroming proces. What you describe is a regular issue for me when chaging out lugnuts. Don't worry just use the chrome ones, post up pics, and I will call you a poser (all in goood fun)