Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, is tihs supposed to look like this

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Jun 9, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

This cat is only 1 month old. All of a sudden the thing is hard to start, is fouling plugs right & left, blows a little black smoke. At high RPM it's fine. Idle is ok, but it could be smoother. it's the middle rpm range that is troublesome. Gas mileage as went to the dumper. It put a new carb on about 4000mi ago, it ran perfect until last week when this started happening. It feels like it's missing. So I put a new cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires. It need all that anyway. It didn't help.
    So in poking arond I see this. Is this supposed to look that way?

[​IMG]

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The cat looks fine to me. Check timing, and for vacuum leaks. This is always a good place to start. Have you done anything else lately?

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Getting too much fuel for some reason - might want to check the new/rebuilt carb....?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Nope, the exhaust last month, and the carb about 3-4 months ago. That carb ran perfect out of the box for 3200mi. I think it is getting way too much gas though and the unburned fuel is burning in the cat. Don't know what happened to that carb to cause it to all of a sudden start running rich. At high speed/rpm its fine. At low RPM I just yesterday adjusted it to me fine with the idle mixture screws. At mid rpms it's acting like it's missing. When Iswapped the plugs yesterday they were smoke black. It blows a little black smoke too. Guess I got my weekend project...