Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok it happend i blew the 10 bolt gov-loc

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Oct 24, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i was driving my truck, took a friend home, then BAM chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp. then i took it apart, metal shaveings, and it was locked, it jamed in the diff jamed in the locked position, so i take one tire off the ground and move it by hand and voilia, its unlocked, i put it all back to gether put the oil it had in it back in, drive it again chirp, chirp,chirp chirp, then tonight CRUNCH chrip chirp chipr CRUNCH CRUNCH BANG, then i just took it easy the whole way home and parked it out of the way, now i gotta find a new rear axle preferably 12 bolt, 6 lug, with 3.73's, anybody got any suggesttions, should i rebuild this thng to avoid the searching for 3.73's 10 or 12 bolts, because they are VERY rare around here, so should i just find a rebuild kit, my ring and pinion are in good shape, spyder gears are shot to hell. any help is greatly appreciated, and no im not gunna convert to 1 ton axles /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, Well, I'll be the first of many to advise ya to ditch the 1/2 ton stuff and get a 14b....Ya won't be blowin that up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 87sm465np208

yeap, but thats alittle out of my price range.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

congrats, I did the same thing a couple months ago. You can see my carnage on my site.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yeap, but thats alittle out of my price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be willin to bet you could get a 3/4 ton 14b FF for less than it would cost to rebuilt your 10 bolt. No difference as far as swappin it into your truck either. Just get the hybrid u-joint and bolt it in. I did my swap with the help of a buddy in 2 hours 15 minutes. To include bleeding the brakes. Thats from the first lug nut to come off the 12 bolt to a 100% driveable 14b FF. No more excuses dammit! GO GET THAT 14b FF NOW! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Get one of the many limited slip units. A 14b is not the answer to all blowed up gov locs. Tires, wheels and 8 lug frt conversion ect. for a $400 fix ? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Jim
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 87sm465np208

yea im just gunna see what needs to be done, and try to fix the diff in there now, or get another this weekend, its 125 for a 10 bolt, like 250$ for a 12 bolt, i just need to find one with 6 lugs 3.73's, in decent shape, and i should be set. could i just swap in my axles in a 5 lug 10 bolt axle with 3.73's?

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Don't put another gov loc 10b in it. Put a new limited slip unit in the axle thats under the rig now. You won't break the diff again. Maybe something else but not the diff.
    Jim
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. 87sm465np208

i was thinking about going open /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, for simplicity, if i can replair the gov-loc SIMPLY, i will, last time i took the cover off and inspected, the case wasnt cracked, and the ring and pinoin were in good shape. so i dont have to spend alot of time on this, because this thing is my dailey driver, im just gunna do what i can, and im gunna pull the cover off it tomarow, see how bad it looks. i know for a fact the spyder gears are chewed up bad, so if i have to put a new pin and spyder gears in it, i will, but if it goes beyond that point, i will have to do somthing else, ill let you all know what happens.
    by the way i really appreciate your guys support at this moment and time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Ditching the 1/2 ton stuff isn't the most efficient answer. Lets see, New Wheels, 14ff, 8-lug conversioon kit, and lots of time. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hmmmmmmm wasnt it me that was commenting on the downright crappiness of the 10 bolt gov lok the other day?

and wasnt it you arguing that they are not that bad...well i hate to say it but i told you so...

oh and btw...you can get like an auburn limited slip for a couple hundred bucks and throw it in there and you wont have to worry about it again

Later

12. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

I got a 6 lug 12 bolt that needs a complete rebuild that you can HAVE, you just gotta come get it.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the spider gears are chewed up then you have hardened metal bits floating around in the diff lube. There's about a 99% chance that it has already done some damage to the bearings. So I'd replace the pinion and diff bearings at a minimum, and check the axle bearings very closely. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's usually cheaper to just replace the entire axle assembly with a used one from a junkyard. Too bad you aren't closer to here! I'm taking the 3.73 axles out of my Sub to install 3/4-ton axles.

14. 87sm465np208

yea i know an auburn would be a great choice, but i dont know how to shim a rear end if i was to install an auburn, and it turns out my clutch plates might be stuck, i talked to my friends uncle and he gave me some official Gear lube additive from GM and some valvoline gear lube, he is a great guy, and he said after i put all of this stuff in there to drive it around in a figure 8 to see if it will break the clutch packs loose, so we will see what happens tonight, my mom dosnt want me to take it out now, because she wants my dad to go with, well ill tell you guys what happens.........

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm getting a 3/4 ton set up with 373 gears. (3/4 Dana 44 front, and 14 bolt FF rear) for $200.00 . They are out there, just look around. As soon as I get the swap done, I'll give these 1/2 axles (12 bolt/Dana 44) to anyone that wants them

16. 87sm465np208

dammit, i wish i was your neighbor /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, id take those off your hands so fast it would make my back hurt because i would be skipping along supporting those axles on my shoulders, of corse i have a steel reinforced back /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, damn scoliosis, but yea, im gunna find out tonight, my dad will be home any minute /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

17. 87sm465np208

ok, so this is what happend last night there was alot of BANGING Noises comeing from the rear end when i was making tight turns, in a parking lot, after adding the new lube and the GM limited slip additive, after all the banging i cant take it anymore, so i make a real tight turn back into traffic, BAM BAM BAM BAM, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, i said wtf it never did that before, then i went to the top of the street to make a right to get back to my street, it made a bam again then i started to get to about 40mph, it felt loose again /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, then i parked it back in its spot that i parked it when i thought it was blown, i jacked it up today, and spun the wheels, one turned in the opposite direction of the other one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and i kept turning it untill it locked /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, i guess the very nice irish machanic friend of mine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, who gave me the valvoline gear lube and the gm additive for the limited slip, knew what i was talking about and he was right the clutch plates were sticking big time. but thanks for everyones help, and being there for me in a time of crisis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

18. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I did not know gov-locks had clutches?

19. 87sm465np208

OK DAMMIT IT HAPPEND. i cracked the fu*kin carrier on it, that is what the banging sound was.

20. 87sm465np208

yea gov locs have clutches that is why you have to add the GM limited slip lube..