Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK I've been watching too much TV and now have a dumb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

On Extreme4x4 yesterday they were working on an FJ60. When they did they spring over they had to rotate the knuckles. OK no big deal mine have been done however I didn't do it. On the toyota axle they made a shallow cut about 3ins from the knuckle--I guess there's a sleeve over the tube--and heated and rotated that part only. I never really thought about it; I always figured that the knuckles were completely cut off of the tubes,you rotated the whole axle to where you wanted it, and then reweld the knuckels back on the tubes.

So my question is are chevy axles the same? Do they have the "sleeve" or was I right in my assumption of completely cutting off the knuckle?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The C is pressed onto the axle tube much like the axle tube is pressed into the housing. The C is fully welded and the housing is plugged welded. You can cut the welds and just rotate the C on the axle tube and then re-weld. If you look inside the C from the outside you can see the axle tube, I think.

Ira

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'll go out and take a look. when I get a chance. I'm just wondering how I'm gonna rotate them. I'm gonna have to do it again soon on the project truck and I want to do it this time.