Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, lame question here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr_clean, Feb 25, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

My better half wants to buy a Dyson. Can anyone here tell me what makes this vacuum worth twice the price of the Hoover that consumer reports rates at the top vacuum?:confused:

I know this is lame, but if I can't talk my wife out of the Dyson, I'm shelling out $500 for a vacuum... and I still have to order my engine kit... :D

DOH!!!

2. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Everyone, who I know, that has one swears by them.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I havent used a dyson, but IMO most newish vacuums suck. They all break within a few years of owning them. Best thing to do is shop old ladies garage sales and find one made just after WWII. I swear to god, the same guys that were making B29s, battleships and tanks during WWII turned around and started cranking out vacuums after the war. They may look like a chromed torpedo, but those hummers last forever. :grin:

j

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah older vacs rock, we had a kerby for years that was cast alum, thing was great!!!!

and indestructable!!!!1, and it had a million atachments to do wet vac, a hose and other stuff i never knew what they did!!!

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

When a wife wants new vacuum, you buy it. At least you benefit, unlike shoes, or purses...

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we've got an old Electrolux that works awesome. the thing has gotta be 30 years old.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A guy I work with said his girlfriend got one, and it has incredible suction. He said they had shampoo'd a rug just before they got it, and it sucked out even more dirt from the shampoo'd rug.
    I'd get one for my wife, but unfortunately, I wasn't up on curent vaccuum tech when we went out and bought he new sears vaccuum.

8. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Everyone I know that has them loves them, but damn... that suckers twice the price of the other top of the line mainstream vac's...

If I came home with a used 1960 Kriby model, I'd be sleeping in the garage... wait:thinking:

I'm sure we'll have one this weekend, just thought I'd see if anyone had anything negative to say about them (other than having to take a 2nd out to get one...)

9. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Do you want a clean house or what??? :p: Sorry how could I resist? I can see you guys getting sick of me pretty darn quick. I do have to say that we use to buy junk when we were in our 20's and are finally learning that you get what you pay for. Yet we drive a Hyundai??? Nevermind.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah! Well if thats the case then how come You wimmen always want to rent the cheap $3.95 pay-per-view movies instead of the high dollar $9.95 ones:wink1:
    :pimp: :pimp1: :thumb: :thumb:

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

isn't that the point? :haha: :haha:

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The old Electrolux slogan was:

Electrolux Sucks!

13. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Now I know why you and Paul always have so much to talk about.:surepal:

14. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I totally agree. I dont want to sound like a cheap arse... I don't mind dropping some coin for something that is worth it. Crap, I paid $1,200 for a sewing machine a few years ago, because it was worth it for what she wanted to do. I was just trying to figure out if that thing was worth the money.

And I do want a clean house, but does this thing vacuum by itself??? :D

15. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

Sorry Mr. Clean - I was only teasing! I actually have never heard of that brand of vacuum. They musn't sell them up north here! We have an electrolux vacuflo (came with the condo) and it's really good. I know our old cheap hoover used to blow more dust out that it sucked in! Good luck in the vacuum venture.

BTW your wife is really lucky that you support her sewing - I sew alot as well. My last purchase was a serger. It was $500, but was easy to convince Paul since he had bought a $700 chain saw the year before :wink1: .

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

$700? Is it turbocharged?

17. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

When my wifes last vaccuum died about 3 years ago, she was comparing. We ended up shelling out $1200 for a brand new Kirby w/ a boat load of attachemmts!! IMHO, it was worth it. I really seems to work that awesome. Also made her happy that I supported the major expense for her so I had one coming:grin:

Anyway, you do get what you pay for. The Kirby comes with excelent service/repair. And if the house burns down, I get a new one for free.

18. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

You have nothing to be sorry about. I just wanted to make sure I didn't come off like a guy who spends all his families discretionary money on his truck and then buys the cheapest stuff I can to get buy for the rest of the family.

My wife also wants a serger. That and a free arm quilting machine...
    She started out mainly doing quilting, but now is making costumes for a friends costume shop. So whatever vacuum we get must be able to suck up thread without any problems :D

Scott

19. Kim Can

Kim Can 1/2 ton status

No, but it should last until we are at least 90 or so.

Scott, I just did a search on the Dyson Vacuum and it actually looks pretty good. The no bag and HEPA thing would be nice. And I'm not sure what prices are like for you guys, but up here the Sears Kenmore vacuums are probably around $400 anyhow. I'm sure you could suck up a lot of thread with this Dyson one! And looks like you could even watch the thread go up! :smirk:

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have no idea whether the Dyson is worth the $$$$, but I can tell you the principle it works on (cyclonic separation) is sound - it's how inlet particle separators for helicopter turboshaft engines work.