Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok last time I ask for help with the toyota lights I swear!!! help me folks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Aug 17, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ok I am sure every one is sick over the over talked about toyota tail lights! Me too, but I still need to hook them up!

Thank you every one who offered help/sugestions last time, but it just didn't sink in, I am a very visual learner and need help!

Just explain it like I am a very special 8 year old!

I under stand that the amber light set up it the toy lights are different

I also have a 120.00+ toyota trailer harness if if that helps at all??? I am borowing it from the dealer as a reference /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also dont have my original blazer lights for reference which is confusing me more.

here is the old post

light post

I have to be able to drive this in 2 weeks to go to college!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

they are 2003 tacoma lights

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

OK, as I reread the posts and hold the wiring adapter in my hand I realize that it is for hooking up a trailer with red tail/turn/stop to a vehicle with red stop/tail, amber turn. You would have to wire the adapter backwards and I'm not sure that will work or not. Might be worth a try though.

Brett

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You're going to need to perform some electrical wizardry to make them work. The original GM lights share a single filament in the bulb to provide brake lights and turn signals. The lights that have an amber turn signal use two separate bulbs. One for the red tail/brake lights and another for the amber turn signals. To make it even more complicated, I'm pretty sure that the wires that go the brake light filament are the same wires that are used for the turn signals. The switching that determines which lights are on, and when, is performed at the front of the truck.

You may need to hack into the wiring up at the dash to pick up the individual signals. For brake lights, you need to tap into the brake light feed coming right off of the brake light swtich, before the wiring routes through the turn signal circuitry. Then you'll need to find each of the individual turn signal feeds, after the turn signal switch, and route those to the correct amber lamps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I hope you have a good wiring diagram! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Could not resist.

Put a light bulb under the air cleaner filter on the tail gate, color it red, and put a push button on the dash.

Best of luck. Electricity and wiring are a bitch.

BH.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Once you get the wiring diagrams from Toyota (out of one of their service manuals) You will have no problems hooking them up to your truck. The trailer wiring harness will only confuse you more......

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You're going to need to perform some electrical wizardry to make them work. The original GM lights share a single filament in the bulb to provide brake lights and turn signals. The lights that have an amber turn signal use two separate bulbs. One for the red tail/brake lights and another for the amber turn signals. To make it even more complicated, I'm pretty sure that the wires that go the brake light filament are the same wires that are used for the turn signals. The switching that determines which lights are on, and when, is performed at the front of the truck.

You may need to hack into the wiring up at the dash to pick up the individual signals. For brake lights, you need to tap into the brake light feed coming right off of the brake light swtich, before the wiring routes through the turn signal circuitry. Then you'll need to find each of the individual turn signal feeds, after the turn signal switch, and route those to the correct amber lamps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I hope you have a good wiring diagram! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> To expand on this a bit... The turn signal leads are seperate from the brake lead when they come out of the dash, if you trace the wires from the gauge cluster harness they will go to the fuse box and flasher. It seems like if you just take the wires from where they come out of the flasher and run wires from there to the turn signals then you should be in business. After that the rest of the lights should be cake.

EDIT

Brain fart, the wire that goes to the flasher will come out of the harness on the steering column, since that's where the switch is.</font>

7. supersize75

ok what if I just wire it so that the toyota turn signal and brake light flash when I hit the turn signal, I could live with that!

DesertDueler where are ya????

8. supersize75

you say I should wire a toyota adapter backward, not a blazer adapter right?

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Look, the front turn signals don't come on with the brake lights. Just run extra wires from the firewall to the rear turn signals off the fron turn signal circuits.

10. supersize75

That is a great idea!!!!

Thank you so much, I will try that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif