Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK.....look at this PIC and guess what's "different"......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK.....look at this PIC and guess what\'s \"different\"......

Take a look..... see if anything JUMPS out at you when you first see it.

READY?

[​IMG]

Did your eyes immediately go to the front fender? The reason I ask is because there is something UNUSUAL about it. The opening is about 2" larger all the way around! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'm playing around with a "stock looking" fender but still trying to get the clearance I need. I'm not sure that this fender will give me enough clearance (especially on the leading edge), but it was my first attempt. BTW -> This is NOT a "photochop"....I really did it in metal. All those lines you see are "slices" I made in the fenderlip to allow me to alter it's shape and make it larger. Right now it's all tack-welded with a quick shot of primer just so I could photograph it. Try to imagine a similar thing on the rear fenderlip too.....that will help make it look more balanced.

Any comments, or observations about this "prototype"????

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: OK.....look at this PIC and guess what\'s \"different\"......

looks good man, in fact my first thought was you made slits in the fender in anticipation of doing what you did. I didn't think you did it yet! nice.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

WOW that looks like factory. But does look like
    the ft part of the fender may hit on full stuff.
    Cant wait to see the rear done.
    Keep up the good work.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, looks good...you're plenty high and the rear part of the front fender looks good. But take some more off the front. Make it so that if you were to stuff the tire into the fender, the sheetmetal would look contoured just like the tire (same clearance front and rear, and same round shape). Maybe, starting at the very top, start a curve that goes down and ends about 3" forward of where the fender is currently cut. Make sense? Just my $.02

5. Greg72

Bo,

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My goal is to actually find a way to get the "fang" welded back in on the leading edge of the fender.... on the 1st Gens it's the first thing that everyone cuts off to gain some tire clearance.....I think it would be mind-blowing to have 38.5's AND still have those fangs.....it will make people NUTS trying to figure it out.

Based on this first "prototype" I think I'm going to "shift" the entire opening 1/2" forward. I probably have slightly more clearance than I need in the rear portion of the fender, but as you mentioned....that leading edge is looking tight already.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool Idea. Like cutouts but without the BIG-A$$ fender flares. Wonder if that would work on 2nd Gens?

-Brian

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

looks awsome dude!! i thought it was factory and you did some funny drawing with a magic marker.

8. Greg72

Steve,

There's some weird stuff that happens to wheel travel due to the shackle. The tire travels in an arc (up & back) into the wheelwell as it "stuffs" and the shackle and spring flatten out. Originally I thought a perfectly "round" opening that was 38.5" would be perfect, but it became obvious in a hurry that it won't work.

The other thing that'll mess things up is when the tires are slightly turned....the outer "shoulder" of the tire is a larger diameter, so even if the fender is perfectly shaped for the tires when they point straight ahead, they WILL rub when the tires turn & stuff.

It's really a tough balancing act... and I can certainly see now why people just "give up and hack 'em" instead of trying to make a fender like this!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dang dude, you've really thought this one out...all that stuff didn't even cross my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I completely understand how the suspension works, and now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. I guess I was just looking at how it appears when sitting on level ground. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Keep up the good work - in the end you'll have every reason to be proud of your work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hey Greg...How 'bout a before shot to compare with the after shot? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Dang! Looks like alot of work! I can't wate to see it when you finish the hole truck!

[ QUOTE ]
    I can certainly see now why people just "give up and hack 'em"

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing I hacked was the "Fang"...
    Then the front of the rear...
    Then the rear of the 1/4 pannel came off to clean it up after I lost the rear wheel and it tore it up...

I still haven't touched the rear of the front fender because it rubs the least. I am still having problems with the rear wheels...I am guessing because my truck is sagging a bit and actually has some flex in the rear.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Looks the same to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My eyes immeadietly went to the lawn chairs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Thats a fine set of chairs you have there /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Oh yea.. the fender looks great man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Greg72

Joe,

Here's a "before" shot.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly, it's still not a true "before" shot....the fender is hacked (front and rear) to clear the tires below the bodyline. However, you CAN see the upper part of the fender arch is unmolested, and clearly is not proportional to the tire underneath.....

I wish I had taken some pics when the tires first went on and the fenders were completely "stock".... things were really tight with that setup!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Greg72

You know......the more I look at these pictures side-by-side, the more I'm tempted to lower the truck about 1"!!!

With that new fender design, I really don't need 4" springs....3" would probably be enough. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It really looks like the fang is going to take a bite out of the tire when it flexes with the wheels turned... Could be that the pic is deceiving though. Looks great though, i didn't know that you were a bodyman too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks good Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Maybe i'll have to visit you when i stuff some bigger meats under my first gen.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You are an ANIMAL!!
    Nice work brother! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

It almost makes the tire look too small. Don't lower it, just go w/ bigger tires!!!! BTW, nice sheetmetal work.

John

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

First off... GREAT WORK!!!

Second, how about making the wheelwell just about an inch or two longer. Keep the current arch, just extend it in the middle. Make sense? You could even take an inch out of the back of the fender and an inch out of the front, the add those 2" back in the middle.

KP