Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok mad a big decision..maybe a little crazy though...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Dec 18, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

as a LOT of you know ive been complaining and b!tching about my body on my truck..and its really getting to me..its not that i dont want to do the work..its more cuase i really dont have the time/knowledge to do it...and im afriad if i tryed it..it would wind up a mess. (replacing floor..core supports..which are basicly gone) this body really isnt worth the time /effort inless your a body man..and im not! and my dad is a mechanic not a body man..so hes not much help here either. SOO.....i want ot puta pickup cab on there instead with a shortend short bed on the back. ive already asked about this befor, and i think im going to try this. i want ot biuld it up a little befor i do it though..(lift , tires, exhaust etc) so i have something worth swaping a body on...but i think i will be a lot better of in the long run. looks ike this truck is going to be more of a progect truck rather than my first truck to drive around? why am i bothering with this truck at all? well...cause i really cant afford another one anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ....do you all think this is a good way to go?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think so. Have you thought about maybe putting on an S10 Blazer body? I've heard that its not that bad to do and you lose like a 1000 pounds or so.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

4. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

The best way to learn is by doing. I think the Flat bed idea is good but really ugly. If you aren't going for looks, than yeah, find a cab and swap. But I think you'll find that although it's time consuming and you need a few special tools, restoring the original k5 body is worth the effort.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i agree the flat bed is a good idea..but i think it would look kinda tacky unless it was a trail only rig. remember i have to drive this to school everyday..in front of GIRLS...so i think the flat bed would be going to far...but what about making a short bed fit on it..it would have to be cut a little but wouldnt be to awfully hard i dont think...it would just be a really short bed!

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

You could try what a friend of mine did here in Memphis and put a jeep wrangler body on it with a 4inch lift and 38's. It looks really cool and all the women love it in the summer.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that sounds cool! well for 1300 i COULD get a rust free blazer body deliverd to my door as i said in another post befor...maybe i should just save for something like that? or would the cab and short bed be cheaper...i would like to keep the body chevy at least.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok THIS is what im talking about....backyardbiult's truck..

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=146&papass=&sort=1

something just like that with that kind of box..(cant remember the name for the style...i dont think its stepside) that looks awesome!! thats just what i want to do..but i would paint it a different color and maybe put a different front clip on it not to totally copy! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Backyardbiult - is that bed shortned? i know i talked to you once about your body swap..

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did this very thing a couple of years ago. Had a 76 blazer that was totally hashed body wise and then found a nice cab and took a long box and shortened it to fit the frame of the blazer. Used a long box because it was closer to correct behind the rear wheel well. Anyway heres a pic just incase your interested in the outcome. We cut the box with a skill saw and masonary blades. The neighbors really loved that one. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/cybrfire100

10. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

thats exactly what i've been thinking of doing lately. i've always like the looks of the stepside trucks. anybody got any tips on mounting the cab or shortening the box.

deck

11. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just remember you have more to figure on than just the cost of a 1300 body. you will/should probably replace you body mounts. There will be fabrication involving welders and cutting tourches. not to mention all the chages in driver controls that will be involved. I am only speaking from an educated guess as I have never done this before but, I can easily see over $2000 being invested in this. $2000 should be able to get alot of body work done.

12. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I agree, you can get a lot of body work done for a couple grand. I say go on and try to do some yourself. The bed area isn't that difficult but you might go ahead and pay someone to do the front end which requires some alignment skills.

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I drove the truck blazer combo for a few years but now I'm back to a blazer. I missed it alot. Like the other guys said. Try the body work. It don't have to be perfect to beat the heck out of it some more. Drive it until a fender falls off then replace it with a fiberglass one and so on. Most of all have fun... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what kind of changes in driving controls are you talking about? i cant see there being TO much of a difference..i mean a blazer is like a pickup just with the back being one peice. and i know there is a cross member you have to weld in the frame for the cab, but other than that i dont think there is to much differents

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i see what you are are saying..but if you saw this body..you would see what i mean. its not worth spending 2000 on when i could just put another rust free one right on...i still think im going to try this...but i would like some detialed info from some people who have done it..

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I suggest thinking LOTS about it. There is a whole lot that goes into this. It will work , just make sure you can. this is not the "simpler" way to go in my opinion, just a different way to go.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Sell yours and buy that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

already did!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NOT! haha /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif