Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, My Freaking Feet are on fire. Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, May 23, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I couldn't stand it anymore and pulled out the ole Stinky carpet from the passenger area and now my freaking feet are about to melt away. Any suggestions on just something I could lay down to help keeps some of the heat down. I'm planning on Line-X'ing the tub (interior) but I don't have all the funds yet. What's my next best route to go? I've got the floor mats but they do very little in the center of the truck. What have you done? Thanks for the info.

2. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Pop off the tranny cover in the cab to let some fresh air in... Just an idea.... :D

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Go to a carpet store, they will sell you some sweet shag scraps for dirt cheap then just cut to fit.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

self taping screws and some carpet scraps.
    Grant

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can put heat shields on the exhaust to keep the heat off the floor boards or do the wrap stuff.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bubble wrap...

Home Depot and Lowe's sells some aluminum "bubble wrap" insulation that works well..but its not very durable,you need to cover it with a floor mat or something...my old 74 K20 had the same problem--bare steel floors that got hot--but it was my tranny making most of the heat,not the exhaust--it had a 3 inch body lift and the pipes were not even close to the floorboards....I used that insulation and some thick rubber floor mats from the junkyard.. :crazy:

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've gone the header wrap, rubber floor mat route.

I'm not using the carpet/insulation because I run either topless or safari and don't want the soft stuff to hold the moisture and rust up my floorboards.

So far the rubber mats are just fine on 82 degree days.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Line X now! Up here in Canada we have do it yourself bedliner called Hippo, yeah I know kinda cheesy comparing it to Rhino. Anyway, it is only $50, easy to do and super durable. I've had my interior done for over a year and it has held up to some pretty decent abuse.

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

My entire floorboard is bedlined and it didn't help at all with the heat, so I had to put in insulation and vinyl flooring.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you guys have seen it, but I used some kinda padded squares from Wal mart. It comes in a bag of like 6 sq ft or something and you assemble them together like a jigsaw puzzle. Its about 1/2" thick, waterproof, lightweight, and easy to cut or whatever. I have some 2' squares, and some 1' squares... they make a great pad for laying on in the shop, and double as a floor mat with insulation inside the vehicle.
    Mike

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh the auto trannies get super hot and cause alot of floor heat,

whatever you do dont use foam padding or anything like that that will retain/attract moisture, that will help keep smells away too in the future, also rubber mats have problem of retaining moisture under them and will help rot floors out

and seventy4blazer that is a good signature, hell yeah

i need to keep that info in mind