Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, need build up thoughts please

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Aug 1, 2005.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, I have pretty much decided that I am going to keep my burb and use it as a nice occasional family hauler. I plan on getting a small camp trailer of some sort so (nothing longer than 25'), I need something that can tow it.

Right now, the burb is 1/2 ton w/ 3.08 gears :doah:
    The drivetrain is 5.7/700-R4/NP208/33 x 12.50's :doah: ) I will be keeping that pretty much the same w/ the exception of a new 5.7 & better gears to drop in. The old one is pretty tired.

Here are my thoughts on build up;

2.5" lift BDS front springs w/ 1" add-a-leaves & extended shackles = 4" lift
    2.0" lift BDS rear springs w/ 2" add-a-leaves = 4" lift
    Keep the 33's for now, but will go to 35" BFG AT's when they wear out.
    Re-gear the stock axles for 4.56 gears w/ auburn posi's or?? It'll rev a bit high in OD w/ 33's, but it should be OK when I step up to the 35's.
    Replace the stock POS exhaust w/ a single 3" high flow cat and muffler.
    Custom front and rear bumpers w/ a swing away tire/gas can high lift carrier.

This will never be a hard core wheeler, heck it prolly won't even see anything other than mild mall crawling to get to a camp spot so I don't need anything hard core. Before Everyone tells me to go with a 14B rear, I can get the parts to re-gear my 10 bolts cheaper than I can buy a 14B and do an 8-lug conversion on the front, plus, then I have to buy wheels/tires. For this rig, it's not worth it IMO. I will be selling it within a couple years.

The body and interior are very nice. The interior is one of the best I have ever seen in a '87. There is no rust, so I'll prolly slap on a $300 paint job and call it good.

It has power everything along w/ front/rear heat & AC (which blows ice cold :D ). it 's a CD/MP3 player, and will be getting a drop down DVD and a thumpin stereo so I can hear my tunes clearly :whistle: :saweet: It's pretty comfy to ride in and I think it will serve my purposes nicely for the next couple years.

So, I'd like some feedback, especially on the eng and gears. What can I put in and still get decent (for a burb) DD mileage and power? It needs to pass smog, but I'll rip off all the aftermarket crap (mainly smog pump and exhaust lines) if I can clean it up enough to pass emissions.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

4.56 gears in a 10 bolt are getting pretty small and weak. But for freeway use it should be fine. Should double the gas mileage you get out of it now and make overdrive usealble again.

Don't use add a leaves on the front. Go with zero rates or 4" springs if you want a 4" lift or your ride will be stiff. Plus 4" springs usually cost the same as a 2.5" spring from the same manufacturer.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That is the plan, but I can't call what we make zero-rates. That is trademarked by ORD. I want to keep the 2.5" springs because they ride so much better.

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

you can buy my rig.. with the 14b, 5.13's, detroit, winch, lift, and bumpers already on it,, all it needs is a coat of herculiner and some new gauges.. :D make an offer...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you plan on selling it in a few years, I'd just stick with 33" tires and the engine you have and just lower the gears. If nothing else, it might be worth swapping in the 4.56s first... and then seeing how it goes from there. Tempting as it may be, a lift and 35s doesn't seem appropriate for this application. Gas mileage will already be bad and offroad perf will never be good... I'd just do what I could to make it a nice family hauler and not much more. You never will get the $ you put into a built rig that ya put into it unless its some sort of collectors item. Besides, every $ to save by not upgrading the burb can go into your K5. :grin:

j

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Prolly the best reason I have heard yet! Lol.

The eng needs replaced for sure though. The main bearings are shot and it won't hold oil pressure once it gets warm. I am running 60 wt oil just to keep the pressure up in it. It knocks like a woodpecker going up a hill. It can barely pull itself up a hill right now. I'll get a cheap replacement, or rebuild the bottom end of mine. Not sure yet.

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Pulling a 25ft trailer with 4.56's and 35's will suck. I'd go at least 4.88's w/ a 5.7.
    I wish I had 4.88's now and all I tow is about a 2000 lb boat. Set it up for all your trick Black Widdow stuff, rr disc, shackles ect... Your 2-2.5 lift and zero adda leafs sound like a smart alternative to hay wagon ride lift springs.

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have a nice light weight tent trailer for sale to tow behind it....

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ditto. We've got 4.56 10 bolt that was thrashed by a 4.3. Took two teeth off the pinion like it was nothing. :eek1:

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

E-mail me some pics w/ price please.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. I wonder if I would need to leave the diffs open then to reduce stress on the ring & pinion. :thinking:

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm with Jason on this one - I wouldn't lift it at all. Especially if you're going to try to pull a 25' trailer.............up the gearing to 4.56's or even 4.88's, stay with the 33's (or smaller :eek1: ) and call it good. Motor...............hmm, not sure on what you want to spend, but a 383 would be a nice improvement in torque. Otherwise, you can build a pretty stout 350 with an RV cam for pulling and power. Lot of other options if you have the $ and want to get 'creative' with a TPI. :D

13. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status