Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok,need some help guys,interesting concept ive come up with...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96RAM85CHEVY, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

ok well i have a 85 k30,ive posted pics and vids for you guys recently.

i got some summit leather bucket racing seats for my birthday,and am going to put them in my truck,im also going to build a custom center console for the chev,kind of like this one...pic attached[​IMG]

now,since my trucks 4wd,im not quite sure what to do with the 4wd shifter,since it has to pivot slightly to the right to engage 4low,i cant just use a cable and a custom shfiter next to the b&m ratchet.

one idea was swapping a later model 241hd case in,since they move straight forward and back through 2 hi,4hi,n,4lo

the other idea is to swap in a later model pushbutton transfer case,which i think would be kinda cool for the bling factor,and i know most of you guys dont like em,so blah! :haha:

or i could modify the design of that center console to work with my 4wd shifter?

what should i do guys?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if there must be bling, at least have it conform to functionality, not the other way around. If your current tcase is a 205, keep it and mod your custom console thingy to work with it.

j

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Cut a slot in the top of the console just wide enough to allow the shifter to move. Kinda like the "J" pattern Jaguar and MB used for years in their consoles. I think it would look cool.

4. 96RAM85CHEVY

well,ive thought about doing the 203/205 doubler,so modding the console is gonna require alot of change to that design....i dunno,ill figure something out.

anybody have a pic of a 203/205 doubler in there chevy so i can get an idea of how the sticks look,and the placement of them?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Talking about the 208/241 , since you thought about a 241 :

Having torn my out before , and looking at the shifter . It does not HAVE to go to the right . They just do that for safety reasons .

You can remove the stop on the shifter if you wanted .

The actual case itself is just like an auto tranny , all the detents one right after the other .

Someone has asked about doing a cable shifter about once every 3 months here . I just do not know who has actually done it .

All it would really take is a cable , a place to hold the cable housing so the cable moves in it ( maybe fab a bracket on the tranny using a bolt hole ) . And hooking it up to the shfter mounted on the console .

For keeping your 205 :

Long bent shifter handle homemade extension , generic shift boot and floor ring on the console :thumb:

6. 96RAM85CHEVY

you sir,are a god.

i read your post,and went and got some heavy duty cable,not that b&m shifter cable crap,i got some heavy duty stuff!

i also bought a bunch of MDF and some leather to cover it with,now hopefully my new carpet kit will get here soon,and off i go!!!

gonna use the b&m ratchet console shifter i have for the transam,and try to get a used shifter off ebay,so i can use it for the xcase,gonna have to modify that so it only has 4 stops,shouldnt be too hard,i started today by takin the seats out and getting some wiring squared away,ill throw some pics up soon.

thanks for that info on the xcase!