Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, need some help please..what's new???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blazerk5, Feb 3, 2005.

1. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

Hey again guys,
    If it weren't for bad luck, well ya know how it goes..... I'm in the process of changing out all my fluids, filters, etc.... I get to my oil and I go to take the gasket out of the valve covers (where the breather goes), and it rips in half and falls down in the valve cover...can't reach it so I have to take the cover off I assume. First question, how careful do I have to be when taking the valve cover off? I don't want to bend it all to hell, I don't know how tuff they are. Second, how much would I torque it back to when I'm ready to put it back on? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ed

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

you dont have to be that careful, the only thing i would watch out for is make sure you clean around the valve cover before you take it off, other wise all that crap would fall down into the head. and if you hit any vacume lines or undo any wires by accident.

not sure what you torque them to, i always just snugged them down and if they leaked tighten them more, and i doubt you will bend it taking it out

3. 85blazerk5

banshee,
    Thanks alot, I will make sure to clean it real good, is it safe to pry with a screwdriver?

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Valve covers are pretty strong, What year is the motor? recently rebuilt or any thing? If its the older four bolt kind not in the center make sure that the bolt holes in the cover are flat. Lets see if i can explain this, when you take the cover off you can tell it the cover has been tightened down to much if the bolt holes are bent down towards the head if it was bolted on. Most aftermarkedt Valve covers are thicker near the bolt holes so its not a problem. I would plan on replacing the gasket get rubber ones they seal better and are reusable. Which ever year motor that you have its not that hard of a job unless you have A/C and its the A/C side of the engine.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Once you take the bolts out and it doesn't come right off by hand, I take a small hammer or dead blow hammer and tap it. Sould break loose from the gasket. I wouldn't recommend prying it with anything, you might (depending on what type of cover) bend the lip that seals it to the gasket.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

All valve covers I have removed came off easily by hand. They don't need much torque when re-installing - they are easy to warp if overtorqued.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would reccomend the chrome long spreaders if they are perimeter bolt valve covers , the little ones don't have enough spread on them . Tighten them until they are snugged good , you can always check them later :k5: :k5:

8. 85blazerk5

I am not for sure on the year of the motor, I've only had it a year and I was told it was recently rebuilt...it's a 350. The valve cover has the 4 bolts, and it is stuck on pretty good, I pulled very hard and it didn't budge. How do I know what seal to get? I have AC, but it's on the opposite side, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, I just didn't want to warp them, this is the first time I had to do this...learning a little more everyday. Sucks being clueless...thank god for you guys.

9. 85blazerk5

pauly,
    What are chrome long spreaders???

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

chrome long spreaders are these things that are 1/4 inch thick 4 or 5 inches long and are just around a 1/3 of an inch wide. They have a hole in the center and the bolt/stud goes through them. They help even out the load so you dont warp the surface. They are under 10 bucks at auto zone, checkers, napa ect.

Also instead of using the little 1 inch long 1/4" bolts you can pick up these handy "T" shaped ones, they are tall and clear the valve cover....makes valve covers a breeze!

they sell those at the same stores, about 10.00-16.000 for 8 of them.

as for your gaskets, felpro sells a reusable, long lasting blue rubber gasket. they are around thirty bucks, but like I said they are reusable and seal very well. Leaky valve covers can be frusterating.....

-shawn

11. supersize75k5

[​IMG]

these are the t shaped bolts, the studs go into the head, this also makes lining up the valve cover ect a breeze:laugh:

12. 85blazerk5

I have spreaders now, and I will just reuse those, also, I will look for the t-shaped bolts, do I need to use any kind of sealent, or just the seal? Thanks so much for the info.

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You can apply a gasket sealer, usually comes in a little can with a brush on it. Make sure if there isn't any RTV on the heads, clean it all off with a knife or flat razor blade. Once the area is all clean get a shop vac and suck out any shavings or debris sitting in the heads. The gasket sealer helps the gasket slide around to form a better fit when you torque your valve covers down. Make sure you don't over tighten these, I always use a 3/8" ratchet. Valve covers are notorious for leaking oil on 350's. It's all in the quality of the gasket and the shape of your valve covers. When you have them off make sure they are not warped. Mine were jacked when I got my rig and always leaked, I went out and bought some edelbrock valve covers. They are a lot thicker and look purty:grin:

14. 85blazerk5

is the seal that the breather goes into called a grommett? Thanks for all the info, I will get some gasket sealer also. Thanks

15. supersize75k5

yes, there are also a couple different sizes, takes your valve cover with you if you can.

also, an idea..

auto zone sells a chrome kit, for under 50 bucks, comes with the t-handles, vlave covers and new gaskets and some other junk. Just an idea for ya.

-shawn

16. 85blazerk5

ok thanks...will check it out

17. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

85blazerk5

PM sent:grin: