Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK.. Need welding help... - Question-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Jan 5, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to weld... I can weld thick to thick great.. but when I try to weld the sheetmetal (18 guage) to the support beams I just burn holes in it.... I have turned it up and down 1 through 4... and adjusted wire speed... it either goes spit spit spit or burns a hole in the dang stuff...

Then trying to weld the 18 guages to 18 guage it does the same thing... It's a 110 volt mig.. this thing lays down nice 1/4 inch beads... but cant get it dialed in to do 18 guage... wtf.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and now I need a new pair of gloves... and a new un burnt knuckle... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

18 guage is a challenge for an experienced welder, especially if you are trying to butt weld it. The best way to do that is to tack a backing plate on one side of what you are trying to weld, then put the but ends together and weld them that way. The backing plate will help prevent blow through and slow the warpage down some.

John

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

BTW, welding thin to thick is easy, you apply the weld to the thick and bleed the puddle over to the thin. You don't weld to the thin directly or it will disintegrate before your eyes and you will not get any penetration on the thick to hold anything. Sometimes you have to have fat welds....

John

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Set the box on the lowest heat setting and then practice running beads on a single piece of scrap. adjust the wire feed until a stable arc can be made. you might have to move pretty fast to prevent burn through. Also check the wire size - you should run small stuff like .024 on sheet metal.

what model welder is it? using flux core or gas?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

John nailed the thin to thick.

Thin to thin is a challenge. Penetration is never an issue because you're always fighting too much penetration. I do a series of small tacks...pull the trigger for 2 seconds and wait for 3-5 seconds and do it again. one tack overlapping the next until it becomes a longer weld. Then move somehwere else and do it again...keep skipping around from spot to spot until it's all welded. I usually stitch weld patches unless they're structural. Weld an inch, skip and inch...then use a good quality sealer over the seam of the repair.

Most important is a tight fit between the two pieces and clean bare steel. Any gap or crud will promote burn through. Use vise grips, or the handle of a hammer to keep the gap tight.

Rene

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guy's! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif