Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, never eaten elk before

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nc87k5, Nov 23, 2004.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

my great uncle, who lives in Spokane, Wash sent me some elk meat he had processed into what looks like a type of salami (????) how's the best way to prepare it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I figured just heat it up in a frying pan, but if you know of any better way, let me know.

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Take some bacon (apple smoked is best) and slice it into little biscut lookin things(the elk). Wrap the bacon around it and grill it. Maybe melt a little blue cheese on top...thats really good. You can also make chilli from it. Venison chilli is super delicious.

there is plenty of things you can do. some people dont like the taste of game meat, but i think its awesome.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well if it is Salami, or pepperoni or something like that just slice and enjoy. He prolly didnt send raw meat through the mail /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is probably Elk Smokies... look like a sausage, but are smoked and probably fully cooked. If they are, just eat them how they are... very good. If you are not positive they are fully cooked, just slice them into a pan and fry them for a few minutes... don't over cook them, they will get too dry. They are good in scrambled eggs too.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

no, it isn't raw. I appreciate all the info. I think I'll just cut it and try it that way first and then be creative.

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Just slice it like the others said and put it on a Ritz Cracker. You can also smear a little stone ground brown mustard on there as well. You could make a light meal out of it. I have. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Probably whats known as Summer Sausage. Slice it up and eat,that simple.Having butcher make some out of my deer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Salami=Slice Peal and eat. Very user friendly stuff
    Almost as good as tit$ on a ritz