Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK New Project: Custom Inner Fenders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lsak5, Mar 28, 2002.

1. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Recently developed the skill of unholy use of the sawzaw on my Blazer, thanks Keith, I'm now in need of some ideas for custom inner fenders to keep out as much mud as possible. I'd like to keep the inners fairly clean looking, ie not the frankenstein look, screws and rivets everywhere. Any thoughts?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well then it wont folloew your moto "all go no show" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Weld the new ones in.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well then it wont follow your moto "all go no show" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Weld the new ones in.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey another Georgia boy all right/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. where in Marietta are ya. as for the inners i'm sure alot of use have thought about it but i haven't seen any attempts to do make some. if you have access to a mig and some sheet metal it shouldn't be very hard. i'm not sure what year rig ya got but on my 74 the only limiting thing on my rig would be to two battery trays. hopfully the miller mig fairy will shine on me in May and i can take a shot at fabing some up.

5. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Marietta, near 75 and South 120 Loop, I go to Southern Tech & Graduate this May. Thankfully the torch monkey and mig fairy let us adopt some kids. We've got welders up the wazoo, from sheetmetal baby migs to big daddy 1/2" Millermatics. I'm good friends with the guys who own Marietta Auto Salvage so the supply of scrap hoods for metal is almost neverending. Just like to see something for ideas, working on some sweet setups for half tube doors w/ diamond plate lower sections to keep things from jumping ship. Where are you at Beater74?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am thinking I'll unbolt the old ones, beat them backwards, and spot weld them in a new location. Then hack the sheetmetal until it's flush with them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Not really pretty, but functional is to take your old inners and trim / form them into the modified wheel well opening. My favorite tool for this is tin snips and a 3 lb sledge. I have done this on my last two trucks. Basically, start at the front and attach, bolt, weld whatever your choice is, the inner around the new opening and work your way toward the rear. You can stop just below the heater core / sterring column depending on which side you are working on.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ask you budy what he would hook me up with a 465and 205 for. Prefurably a late 80's and then I would also want a hashed fixed yoke 205 (pre 80) so I can convert the newer one to fixed yoke. Condition not important as long as I can slavage the fixed yoke parts.
    You can say it...we know where it is...Franklin Rd /forums/images/icons/smile.gif