Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, now I am getting pissed - Valve cover gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... so, this is the second set of valve cover gaskets I have had on my new engine. Both sets have "sucked" in between the valve cover bolts and along the back. Its really pissing me off.

What can I do other than RVT them on there? Is there a "best" set to buy? rubber? cork? (both sets have been cork)

Do I need to scuff the bejeezuz out of the gasket seat on the valve cover?

Help...

Thanks
    -Ryan

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I gave up on using stock or stamped steel valve covers years ago. I use a cast aluminum cover with a Fel-Pro rubber gasket with zero leaks. It is nice to be able to tighten the cover down and not distort the gasket sealing surface!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I use regular fel-pro cork gaskets.First I take sandpaper and clean the hell out of the mating surface on the valve cover.If the bolt holes are caved in from overtorque , I take a ball peen hammer and straighten them out til flat. Then take some 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glue the gasket to the valve cover.Next I clean off the engine side mating surface with brake cleaner. Use no RTV , its not needed. Once valve covers are in place, gently tighten bolts down, do not overtorque.These bolts do not need to be Gorilla Tight !! Also make sure your PCV system is working good or you will have nothing but leaks.
    Another trick you can do is buy some valve cover hold down plates that spread the load out along the valve cover and prevents the overtorque problem that causes leaks.Also Victor makes a cork gasket called tuff cork. They are very good as well.
    Hope this helps.

4. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

I go one step further and put anti-sieze on the bottom of the gasket. Worked with cork or rubber. Makes it easy to get off too.
    I still get oil seepage around the pcv and oil fill grommets.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I gave up on using stock or stamped steel valve covers years ago. I use a cast aluminum cover with a Fel-Pro rubber gasket with zero leaks. It is nice to be able to tighten the cover down and not distort the gasket sealing surface!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...and I got a cheap set of aluminum too!

With stamped covers though, I always used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gaskets to them as well. Make sure they're straight, use a hammer if necessary. Use the load spreaders as mentioned.

I am using thick cork Fel-Pros right now with aluminum covers and no leaks except for the hole in the oil pan. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ok, sounds like the gasket is just rolling under or sliding off when you are installing your valve cover. I use a "Spray Tack Adhesive" to hold the gasket to the valve cover during assembly. Makes it much easier to install with no more leaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

A little tip a pro race engine builder told me was to use a little WEATHERSTRIPPING ADHESIVE(yes you read that correct) does major wonders, dries really tacky and it doesn't leak. I've had this set of gaskets on mine for a while now and now a shred of leakage signs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif