Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, OK, OK,,,,going to join the rest of you guys here,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, May 31, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I figure, since i have over 3000 some odd posts now, and i see alot of you post up about things that happen to you in your daily routine of life,,,that i figure, i can go ahead and join the ranks of the crew and post up some crap that happened to ME today...

On my way home from work, playing in traffic, i start smelling this familiar odor of burning wires or something of the like,,,i continue driving, continuing smelling the air, to determine if it is my truck, or someone in front of me. The smell keeps getting worse, i don't think it is me, because if it was a short, usually the stereo wiggs out or something, not this time...I continue driving, STILL trying to determine if it is me or not,,,then i look at my volt gauge, it reads like 9 volts.........

:doah: IT'S ME :doah:

Crap, so i hit the turn signal to get over, and luckily there was only one car beside me, they got out of my way pretty quickly, and as soon as the 3lanes were clear, (this was a miracle actually in rush our traffic) i started to change lanes and then i heard a screeching,squeeling type of sound from under the hood....NOW, i had enough speed still, so as soon as i heard this sound, the first thing i thought to do, was kill the motor,,,which probably saved some stuff under there...

Get to the side of the road, smoke coming from under the hood, slightly panicked, i raised the hood, and sure enough, the alternator had died,,,but pretty seriously this time,

IT WAS ON FIRE

So, i grabbed the pliers, unhooked the battery to kill the power, and grabbed the drinking water i had and poured alittle on it to kill the fire.

NICE, now i'm stuck on the side of the freeway, in 100+ degree temps, and can't move..

Anyhoo, good'ol mommy, had towing insurance of some kind, so her and my bro showed up, so i could use her towing thingy, and well,,,,,here are the pics,,,this is SO sad,,,,the first time this truck has ever left me stranded on the side of the freeway...:(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bummer...

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

DOH! I hate when sh!t like that happens. Luckily you caught it before the fire spread! :thumb:

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The alternator,,,you have to really love this design of these things:rolleyes:

the front bearings are non existant now, the rears is pretty torn up, and the internals,,,well they are pretty toasty now:p:

Not sure exactly what cause this, if it was a bearing malfunction, or something shorted out and caused the rest of the damage, either way,,,this is what kind of one year warranty crap you get from Autozone..

and unfortunately, it's out of it's warranty period :mad:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Dang TJ, that's some tough luck! :crazy:

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Dumbass could of called me , I would of been happy to take gas and come fetch yo ass :D

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

and what exactly would YOU have done,,,,,towed me home with your 305? :D in the middle of rush hour traffic? :p:

we had thought if this with the caddy, but then i realized, i didn't have any lights, due to the battery being disconnected,,not very safe,,,was just way easier to have it towed home...:crazy:

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Good GOD, i really need to get around to painting that roof.

9. pauly383

wouldn't of been the first time I towed . I have taken trash to the dump before :wink1:

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Good thing you caught it just in time! Same think happened to my bosses son in his S10 blazer. Alternator fried and actually set some stuff on fire. Thankfully he was able to put it out with his and his girlfriend's slurpees in time befor anything bad happened. Hope there was not too much collateral damage for ya.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

but you didn't leave it there,,,:confused: :confused: :confused:

sorry dude, had to do it.:D :haha:

didn't want to bother you with it, and besides, like i said, it didn't have lights, and i didn't really want to deal with rush hour traffic and towing it 15 some miles to the house...No biggie, it's home,,,safe,,,broken,,,and sad:(

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I was going to ask you about that.... It looks like it's really getting bad up there!!

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It was actually primered at one time, but i guess i didn't use the right kind, the rust just kinda came through...

Basically just surface rust, take a scratchy pad thingy or steel wool, and it rubs right off....I have some more primer for it, i have just had too many other "projects" to get finished up to take care of the roof....

one of these days though:crazy:

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

is that the north side of the 101 loop? if so i'll have to ask my bro if he saw you. :wink1: :D

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What does he drive, i saw several Burbs, Blazers driving by, staring at me, NOT ONE stopped,,,fags:mad: :haha:

no, it was north bound 51, just before Camelback, right at the start of the offramp of camelback.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At the risk of getting all techy in the lounge - my alternator burned up after a day in the mud a few months ago. NAPA has a 140a alternator for about $200 that works great.

17. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, he's a jeep kinda guy. he's got an 80's cherokee with which he's funded all the employee's years salary at 4wheelers in phoenix. :D they're good people tho, and he actually wheels the crap outta that thing, so i can't harass him too much about not doing most of the mods on his truck. and he would have only been on 101, as he works at dillon aero in the scottsdale air park and doesn't live too far from there.

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hmm, i guess it's ABOOT time to get out there and fix this stupid thing,,eh?:doah:

19. pauly383

And go paint your roof too while your at it there . Your truck looks almost worse than you do :thumb:

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D :crazy: :D