Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK.......one last COOLANT question for today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Some of you may have read my last post about the coolant problems I've been having. Here are the latest developments:

1. I topped off the rad this morning(with about 1 quart of coolant) before Kim went to work. She drove about 120 miles round trip and mentioned that the "check coolant" flashed once during the trip.

2. When Kim got home, I let the truck cool off for about an hour before popping the rad cap. The reserve tank was fuller than it was when Kim left. There was lots of pressure still in the system and when I loosened the cap, a little bit more coolant blew through the hose into the reserve tank. I had to siphon a whole bunch of coolant out of the reserve tank to get it down to the appropriate level. The funny thing is is that the rad was still down about 2" from the filler neck. If it was low, why did it need to spit out so much coolant?

Is it possible that, because of the larger capacity of a 6.2's cooling system, the coolant level just drops more as it cools off and contracts? I've never really paid too much attention to how high it sits in the rad when it's cold because until I started seeing the "low coolant" light flash I never had a reason to worry........

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm hoping that I'm just being paranoid because a 6.2 head job up in these parts is about $3000 CDN.......

2. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

The coolent level in the radiator sits about 1 1/2" or so from top. I did the same thing trying to keep the radiator full and it just spit it out.

3. Can Can

Thanks very much for the feedback, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's about where my coolant seems to want to sit in the rad, too. Was your rad still pretty pressured up even after the truck cooled off?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're complaining that your cooling system holds pressure? Hell, it has taken me four years, three radiators, a heater core, water pump, and radiator cap and this year for the first time, mine will hold pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Mine had a hole in the top driver side and everytime I filled it up it leaked like crazy, once I only filled up the overflow it stopped. (I did replace the radiator)

only time I opened the rad cap within a hour or so, yah it popped.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Gotta quit using used parts, Tim! I'm like you though, I wouldn't complain about a cooling system that holds pressure!

7. Can Can

I guess the reason I'm worried about the amount of pressure I'm seeing in the cooling system is because I'm not sure if I have a cracked head right now........ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

The details are in my other post(probably on page 2 of the Garage by now).

8. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

try a new radiator cap maybe yours wont let the coolant back in.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    try a new radiator cap maybe yours wont let the coolant back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

ANd check your overflow. One in my 75 had a cracked tube that goes into the tank. The tube has to be below the coolant level in the over flow to pick up coolant. With the crack it was sucking air and the radiator was always a inch or so low even theough the overflow was full.