Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok paint pro's come on in for a chat..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 23, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ok paint pro\'s come on in for a chat..

ok heres the deal...

I have a 75 blazer with all new panels so body work isn't an issue...good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also have a free prof painter in the family..better /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also really plan on wheelin though...bad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so here is the problem I dont mind scratching so much but I also want to do a set of flames, I don;t have to pay big bucks so I want them anyways. Les, thats the painter is ok with this but I will feel really bad to ruin a nice paint job. So I thought of using large strips of magnet that cover the whole fender and have that on the truck then I go wheeling so the flames don't get trashed.

also I found a place to get front fenders for 28.00 so ruining them wont cost much, they are thinner but easier to replace and no holes in them to shave.

so what would you do and how much has your paint supplies cost you?

I also can get a booth foer 100.00 a day, and plan have rock sliders..
    [​IMG]
    and the rear will be protected as well.

I also have tube doors so those I will remove while wheelin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

I would hate to do this to a new door and after wheeling it looks like this..

[​IMG]
    and I am thinking about having an extra set of front fenders that attach or can be taken off like the pree runners this would alow the truck to look good and trim the crap out of the trail fenders.]

am I crazy? cost is not the issue, its the concept of 4 wheeling and a nice paint job, the two usually don't go together. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just want it to funtion as well as look nice, drive train=
    396-th400-203-14 bolt 8 lug d44 the last two need to be swapped in and I have the swampers on new rockcrawler rims in the garage.

[​IMG]

im all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif pics would be cool too btw

2. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Re: ok paint pro\'s come on in for a chat..

I can't imagine what a pita it would be to swap fenders everytime you wanted to wheel. If you have a source of fenders that cheap, just paint up a couple of sets at the same time so you have spares, but in the long run just wheel it and deal with the inevitable body damage later. By the way, what's wrong with the door in that picture? Nothing that won't buff out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can get large sheets of thick adhesive 3M clear plastic. Just buy that stuff and put it on your fenders, or even all the way down the side of the truck.

That said, I would like to also say that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Just paint it and either wheel it and deal, or don't wheel it and be a poser. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif</font color>

4. supersize75

I run my own detail company for a living and that one stumped me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

btw working on a trailer that is an open trailer will match the truck ans be on 38.5 tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The magnetic flames may cause a few pointed fingers and get some giggles from some, but it is your ride. JC Whitney sells magnetic flames that are like what you described doing.

John

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just put on 'glass fenders with dzus fasteners and before your hit the rocks, take the fenders off.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Flames are cool. Here are the ones I put on my blazer last year. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ghost flames are the [censored]. cool blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

jacob

9. supersize75

not magnetic flams, silly! I was talking about using magnetic stips to cover the fender that has flames painted on it

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

What about vinyl decal flames? Save the painter some time and you could get a few sets made to have around. There is even a guy on CK5 that does vinyl decals (I think?). But if you start trimming your fenders, there will not be much left to apply/paint flames on.

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

you could just fabricate an alternative moutning system for your fenders, i know a guy who can tear most of his truck body off except doors and cab in probably about 10-20 mins. he has kind of a tube frame that everthing pins too(hood pins) he dont run a complet bed either, just bed sides with the tube frame as support. just an idea.
    Chris